Need Help W/ New Build

goaway

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Hey guys im about to order some **** from newegg and need some help on deciding my motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050 this was my first decision but since they have come out with a couple of new ones i dunno

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128059 this is a new one they added to newegg like yesterday.

i wanna know whats really the difference other than the cheaper one only supports ddr2 800? other than that whats the difference?

and do i need my motherboard to support 1066? im buying gskill 2x 1gig ddr 800.

i would really like to save the $35 difference. do i need ddr 1066 supported or is that something that i wont need in the next 3 years?

just want the board to be easily upgradable and to last couple years

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I can't comment on the DS3L, I'm guessing (And this is a big guess) that they biggest difference is that it supports only up to DDR2 800 memory. Also the southbridge seems different, but nothing to worry about. I guess you could go with it, but you can't expect it to perform the same way a DS3R would.

However I can comment on the DS3R, it is a stable board with great overclocking capabilities and support up to DDR2 1066 (very helpful for overclocking the new G0 stepping CPUs).

goaway

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
what is G0? Kinda lost me there. Am I gonna need it im a hardcore gamer thats poor as hell. If it matters alot in your opinion i think i could try to come up with that $35 bucks again. i just wanna board that I can OC if i choose to.

"but you can't expect it to perform the same way a DS3R would" sorry kinda new to this, but what exactly is would performance difference be ina motherboard because i dont have a clue?

and all i do on my computer is game and download music and burn cd's.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
perform in the sense of overclocking capabilities. I would pay the extra bucks and go for the DS3R.

G0 is a new Core 2 stepping (sort of like a revision if you will) that gives them even better overclocking capabilities, nothing that you should worry about unless you have at least a water cooling setup/Tuniq Tower 120 and some Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066 ram sticks. Regular Core 2s can OC pretty well even if it's a B2 or B3 stepping (I doubt you'll find B2 steppings anymore though, since they're pretty old :p mine is a B2 hehe)

goaway

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
also when overclocking, shouldnt i have some way of testing hardware temperatures? and if so how do i do this? and do i need to buy something to tell me the temperatures?

goaway

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
can i use the OS from my old dell? i dont have my original cd's, but my parents own an isp and have plenty of copys of XP installation cd's and my dad said he thinks i can reuse my OS as long as i have the cd key from the side of my computer(it is there) but he is not for sure?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If you have the XP CD key and a Windows installation disc then yes you can (And who can stop you to be honest :)), however if what you have is the crappy dell recovery disc, you won't be able to.