Is my 7900GT faulty?

bumfish

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I have just bought an XFX 7900GT with a 520MHz GPU off eBay. It works fine but I get nasty artefacts in games - big black or white strips. The nVidia utility tells me that the GPU temperature is fine, well below the slow-down threshold.

This is actually the second 7900GT I've bought - I wanted a fast-clocked one but accidentally bought a stock-clocked 470MHz one, and that works fine without artefacts (although it's obivously a little slower). This indicates that it's not a graphics driver problem (I'm running the 94.24 drivers).

Any idea what might be causing the problem? Is my XFX a faulty card?

Thanks

bumfish

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Is that what happens to them when they've been OC'd too far? I suspected that might be the case, now I have to go through the hassle of getting an eBay seller to agree to a refund :(

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
When does it start to artifact? I got a 7800 GT that had a default clock speed of 470 and showed minor artifacts in some games.

I had to underclock it just a bit to get rid of them, to about 460.

bumfish

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Well the seller been an eBay member for four years and has 100% feedback so I think he's probably OK, he just hasn't responded to any of my emails so far. The card looks fine for Windows use although there are a couple of 'speckles' that are hard to notice at high resolutions, but when you start any 3D game the artifacts appear straight away, and there are a lot of them, too many to ignore.

I could under-clock it but I expect a card that works as it's supposed to!