dell dimension 3000 (no video)

kowal

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I have a dimension 3000 that a friend had given to them.....they are unable to get any video on it so asked me to look at it. I tried different monitor...the onboard vga connector was loose just floating so i tried a pci videocard no luck....i tried resetting cmos jumper swapping ram with known good ram...no luck. I ordered a new motherboard from dell just got it today.....installed it still no luck. The power light comes on but remains a constant amber color....the fan comes on..cd rom drives blink up....but no video. I double checked to make sure all power connectors on motherboard were correct...i also tried a known working power supply....no luck. Also the 4 troubleshooting lights on back do not light up...and i am getting no signal beeps....but the rig does power up.....just no video. If i had an extra CPU chip i would try that in it.....but my other rigs are AMD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks Leo

twig2256

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
My mom's dimension 3000 seems to be doing the same thing. I got back from vacation (having it unplugged the entire time) and it doesn't even load the bios. I get the solid amber, which apparently means a device malfunction; and no indicator lights on the back, which i guess means a "pre-bios failure". The green led on the motherboard is on whenever it's plugged in. When i hit the power button the fans turn on, i can hear something spinning, i think the hard drive; I get a green light on my cd drive for a couple seconds; and occasionally the other indicator on the front lites up, which i believe means that it's processing something. But then it turns off several seconds later, sometimes lasting about 30 sec., other times less than 1.

Things seem to be pointing to the motherboard, i think the power supply is ok cuz of the fans, and i tried unplugging individual components and that didn't get me anywhere. I haven't noticed any hardware problems such as blown capacitaters or loose connections. I can't think of anything else to try.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Something internally is probably not seated correctly. Remove and re-seat ram and all cards, check all cables.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/

twig2256

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Yea, that seemed to work. now it's overheating. At one point it loaded windows completely, but now it's like i'm back to where i started

jrpmedia

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hi Guys,

I had exactly the same issue as at the start of this Topic.
Seems to boot.
Removed and reseated everything.

I have even put in a new logic board and I still do not get to the BIOS screen on boot :-(

Any more suggestions would be very welcome please,.
I'm thinking of buying a new P4 2.8 GHz processor now ?*!
Surely not needed ?

You realize that this thread is 6 months old? You may have better luck by starting a new thread.