Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2007 2:49:48 PM

If I've repeated myself I am sorry but I have been having problems with IE7 :( 

I am researching the 256MB NVidia GeForce 7900 GS and the Radeon X600.

I did find the article about "How do I know if it's a good deal?" This article has a hierarchy table that I found interesting but am not sure I am understanding it correctly. On this table it lists the 7900 GS as the 5th and the X600 as the 13th. Based on "The top tier contains the highest performing cards available, and performance decreases as you go down the tiers from there." I deduct the 7900 GS to be a higher grade card than the X600. Is that an accurate conclusion? I now have the 256MB NVidia GeForce 7900 GS running on a 375 Watt system. I read that this card needs a minimum of 400 Watts is that true? Is there just an X600 beside the X600 PRO and X600 XT?

With my current card I also have a TV Tunner and able to fast forward, pause etc on live TV -Vivo I assume(watch it on my monitor) I read that the X600 PRO does not have that capability. How about the X600 and Vivo? I also found one could purchase the X600 PRO for $39.99 at NewEgg! I paid more, lots more than that when I ordered my computer.

The bottom line to my research is the manufacturer of my system has replaced the 7900 GS about 3 times and now I've been told it is not compatible with my system so they are sending me a Radeon X600 256MB and said it was comparable to the 7900 GS. I need to know more about this card. What Watt's are needed for the X600? Do they even make just a X600 card?

Thank you very much for any/all help it is deeply appreciated.

More about : radeon x600 geforce 7900gs

August 4, 2007 3:56:17 PM

The 7900GS is a much better video card than the X600, they really aren't comparable. I would be surprised if your TV tuner was built into the video card, only the ATI All-in-Wonder cards have this. VIVO is a capability for a video card that lets a video signal in to the computer (VI, Video In) and also outputs to another display (VO, Video Out). The X600 will have less strict power requirements than the 7900GS, but with less performance.
August 4, 2007 4:07:34 PM

The 7900 GS is a generation newer and a price-grade higher than the X600, they aren't comparable at all. This would be like comparing a BMW 5 series with a Ford Fusion. The BMW is bigger, and better.
August 4, 2007 5:38:55 PM

nitrous9200 said:
The 7900GS is a much better video card than the X600, they really aren't comparable. I would be surprised if your TV tuner was built into the video card, only the ATI All-in-Wonder cards have this. VIVO is a capability for a video card that lets a video signal in to the computer (VI, Video In) and also outputs to another display (VO, Video Out). The X600 will have less strict power requirements than the 7900GS, but with less performance.

Thank you for responding. I apologize for saying "With my current card I also have a TV Tunner and able to fast forward, pause etc on live TV -Vivo" I think I messed up big time :)  What I meant to say is that I also have a TV Tuner card. :)  it isn't built into the video card. The tech just brought out the X600 and boy you can clearly see a difference between the two cards! When I told the manufacturer that it was not comparable to the 7900 GS she got a bit itchy and said "yes it is" So she is sending me another 7900 GS.
Again, thanks to both who responded so quickly.
!