Sign in with
Your question

Mobo recomendations based off of known reliability

Last response: in Motherboards
August 6, 2007 4:09:40 PM

Ok guys,

I know theres a few threads out re: opinions of the latest and greatest motherboards, however I'm seeing mixed responses of how reliable each one is. I take with a grain of salt a lot of the reviews on Newegg or Tigerdirect, because no matter how reliable a product is, there's always one guy on there that had a bad experience, giving an otherwise great product one star, and it plants a seed of doubt.

I've had so many problems with my current build I could puke (sata ports going bad and breaking my raid, bad usb drives, board heating up because of voltage irregularities and crashing the 3D video drivers, the list goes on), so really want to make sure I'm getting it right this time.

So I guess I's looking for a consensus of the most common Mobo's used in the forums, and peoples experiences with them, good and bad.

My current set up - it's off memory so not sure as to the accuracy on every detail of each component, but you get the idea -

Asus M2N32SLI - Deluxe
+3800 64 w/ 256 mb cache
2 WD 250's striped
BFG 7900 GTX OC 540 mb Ram, etc etc
2 GB's of Crucial memory 5400 *4-4-4-12
1 250 HD for Data
500 watt Ultra Power Supply
Thermaltake Aguila case

I'm not OC'ing anything atm.

The reason for the Mobo change, is I've had nothing but problems with this board. It's my second one (it's an RMA), and all thru the process of RMA'ing, and tech support, I've found ASUS to have the worst customer service of any company I've ever worked with (not to mention the slowest website ever), so I'm really trying to avoid their products.

I mostly play WoW, which my current system handles just fine. I have an extensive audio collection, and would like to get into burning movies, etc, which really taxes my current setup.

Intel Quadcore looks like where its at for me, because I dont really want to upgrade for a while. I understand that many programs don't utilize the Quad Core technology, and that games arent tapping into dual core even that much at the present, and I'm ok with that - I'll benefit from that down the line.

I'd really like to give Intel a shot, as I've heard nothing but good things, and the future looks bright in that regards. I know that at the end of the day, any product can have issues, no matter who makes it, but am still curious as to what the word on the streets for consistent reliablility is - essentially, im looking for the "lesser of the evils".

Anyone that has any input on the newer Mobo's would be greatly appreciated, or maybe a link to a thread I may have missed would be cool too!

Best regards,

Mustaffa

August 6, 2007 4:42:37 PM

Probably hard to beat an Intel board reliability wise. However, depending on what you buy, some of them are rather pricey. For Intel based systems, I would go with Intel or Asus, for AMD based systems, DFI or Asus.

wes
August 6, 2007 6:05:52 PM

I'm willing to spend around $200 or so for the right board. I'm really trying to stay away from ASUS, as I have had 2 bad experiences back to back. Ya, I'll admit there was a couple of ID10T errors, as I'm not a total newb, but I'm no expert either. Although I have been involved in enough builds where there just shouldn't be as many issues as I have experienced with this mobo.

Should I give ASUS another shot? Is the memory incompatibility, running hot, usb/SATA port/driver failer a thing their known for, or should I just move to another board?

If things actually stayed working the way they should for more that a weeks weeks, I'd just go grab a 5600+ x2, a Zalman 9700 and call it good till the thing dies, but I havent seen that happen with this board yet. =/

Thanks Wes!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 6, 2007 6:31:44 PM

If you are considering overclocking with a Quad then a P35 chipset board is your best bet.
The abit IP35 series, Asus P5K & Gigabyte P35 series are all decent & pretty much neck & neck ( as is common these days with mobos based on similar components). MSI's Rev1.1 Platinum is also supposed to be decent.
If you do go Asus again get the P5K Premium instead of the DeLuxe as it has a few upgrades/fixes.

I'm not too big a fan of Ultra's PSUs though.
August 6, 2007 7:18:21 PM

BUFF said:
If you are considering overclocking with a Quad then a P35 chipset board is your best bet.
The abit IP35 series, Asus P5K & Gigabyte P35 series are all decent & pretty much neck & neck ( as is common these days with mobos based on similar components). MSI's Rev1.1 Platinum is also supposed to be decent.
If you do go Asus again get the P5K Premium instead of the DeLuxe as it has a few upgrades/fixes.

I'm not too big a fan of Ultra's PSUs though.

I"m liking the gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R for combo of good price and features. With a $200 budget, is the DQ6 in reach? I think that's also an excellent board.

I'm not a fan of Ultra for high amp usage like gaming with high end hardware, but I have to say I've used 3 in various machines and have had no problems, not to mention they've honored rebates within about 3 weeks every time.
a c 138 V Motherboard
August 6, 2007 7:29:01 PM

I just built a rig with a Gigabyte board (-DS2R, a micro-ATX). I chose it because of similar concerns. I've not been disappointed.

And yes, it would be interesting if that Ultra PSU were the source of your problems, since you mention voltage irregularities. A good PSU won't do that. Being cheap isn't a good idea, but you can get a decent FSP for that build for $58 on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or, check out something from this list:
http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon
...and expect to pay $80-$100 since you probably only need 450-500W.
August 6, 2007 8:41:00 PM

AAhhh... see the power fluctuations were resolved with a new motherboard (the second rma), so I didn't give the power supply a second thought once my video drivers werent crashing, and the 5v rail (right terminology?) read 4.93-ish rather than 5.04v(and hear i could have my numbers off, but to get to the point, it was resolved), but do you think it could be making that board run hot??

(BTW - it was BFG Tech's customer support that helped me narrow down the power issues, not ASUS lvl 2 teh support - they didn't have a clue until BFG did the work for them pretty much)

I always thought Ultra was a good brand, but hey, I just dont have the experience you guys have, so I'll take your word for it.

Know of any good power supplies that have modular connection by chance that dont have the power issues?

Thanks again guys, your time really is appreciated!!! :hello: 
!