Question about Heatsink Installation

flauntyham

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
After several months of investigation, I decided to take the plunge and build a pc. I have begun to put the parts together and I have a question regarding the installation of my aftermarket cpu cooler. I am installing a Zalman 9500 on an Intel D975XBX2 mobo with an E6600 proc. The installation seemed to go relatively smoothly, but the heatsink/fan pivots or rotates about 1-2 degrees. Is this normal? I have tightened the screws holding the support clip to the bracket as much as I feel comfortable.

If anyone is familiar with that setup, I have tried the support clip both parallel and perpendicular to the heatpipes with the same result. Right now, it is perpendicular to the heatpipes. That is, it passes through the bottom hole of the figure "8" as opposed to passing between heatpipes.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Inno

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I just built my new pc and noticed the same thing about the Zalman. I have my clip between the heatpipes. On the bottom of the clip there are two divits that fit into two indentions on the cooler. They arent form fitted so thats where the 1-2 degrees are coming from. Add in the thermal paste and you get a little movement.

What I did was aligned the cpu up as best as possible and made sure the screws were good. Then installed it and have been watching my core temps. Under load with my 6700 im still under 40c so it is performing. Im actually amazed its performing so well.

I have the same board also. If it wasn't making good contact you would know by the heat the cpu was generating.

flauntyham

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Thank, Inno. That makes me feel a bit better. Another question, though. You mention that you have the clip between the heatpipes. I was wondering if it makes a difference. As I mentioned before, I tried it both ways and it didn't seem to make a difference. But if I recall the manual correctly, it seemed to idicate that whether the clip passes through the heatpipes or through the hole in the botom of the figure "8" depends on the motherboard. I couldn't for the life of me understand what this was about or what difference it made. Something about horizontally or vertically oriented rentention clip. Keep in mind, this is my first build.

Inno

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
From the Zalman directions, between the pipes is intel way and thru the pipes is amd way. I might be totally wrong but thats how i read it.