my c2d cpu fan stops from time to time... is it normal??

sterosta

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
hi. Is it normal for core 2 duo processors (especially their stock fan) to stop from time to time for a while?? because my does. Core Temp shows that the teperature on both cores is between 57C - 58C when idle... is it normal temp for this processor?? (i think that its preety high temp especially at idle stage) And i should say that there's no oc at the moment...

my config:
cpu: Core2 duo e6420 2,13ghz
motherboard Gigabyte p965-s3
gpu: Palit GF7300GT 256MB(500/1000)
RAM Geil 2*1GB 800MHz cl4ultra dual channel (4-4-4-12)

The processor fan should not stop. You should get a new fan and or fan/heatsink on there. Your MB CPU fan header could be failing too causing the fan to stop. Check that the fan is plugged in firmly to the MB header. You will damage the processor if the fan stops.

sterosta

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
recent i've posted a topic about self rebooting of my computer. I guess that the problem might be not with PSU or RAM, but with my CPU fan - when it stops, CPU become overheat and there's thermal shutdown...am i right?? And I wonder if the guarantee of the processor (box version) is also suitable for it's stock fan...i hope so...

sterosta

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
i found [guys from one polish forum said it to me:)] that my motherboard (Gigabyte 965p-S3) supports Smart Fan option in bios settings and when I disabled this option CPU fan started working all the time and the temp's are quite good in this time... In the Smart Fan there are some other options for ex. (Legacy, IntelR(QST)) and modes such as Auto, PWM, and Voltage... Does anybody know what is the most suitable one to use and enable??

dpick

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Ah. I have that Gigabyte 965p-S3 with Smart Fan settiongs and had my standard Intel fan stopping every 5 seconds for a second or more, then start up again. The Smart Fan was set to auto, and Mode to auto. I changed the Smart Fan from "Auto" to "Intel (R) QST" and the fan does not stop now. Looks like a good selection. The Gigabyte folks did their homework, it appears.