Is my CPU Toast?

bikee4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Hello All,

I'm having some trouble with my computer.

I have RMA'd two MSI p6n platinum motherboards and a Gigabyte p35 board as well I have two different video cards a 7600gt and 8600gt
nvidia. Also I have a new Corsair 520HX power supply and 2 GB of crucial pc 8500 Ballistix. My processor is E6240 C2D.
I have two Benq 20 WS monitors.

My computer now Has the MSI Mobo in it. The problem is I would only get
one monitor to work the other one wouldn't be detected (running latest drivers).

Then it would rapidly deteriorate to the point It wouldn't even POST much less display anything. I have tried MS memory tester for a couple of hours (when I could see something) and it didn't find any memory problems.

The 8600gt is new and 7600gt I have had for a year or so I would get pretty much the same results from both.

My question is: would this set of symptom resemble a damaged processor or a memory problem or just two video cards gone bad?

Also I have had this system overclocked to 3.2 ghz and memory running @800mhz @3-3-3-8 t1 timings.
it wasn't overclocked since the first board died or did it overheat anything as far as I know.

I did run Everest system stability and Orthos to test the overclock.

TIA ,b4

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i have heard of organic led's and new new solar cells made of organic polymer but never a cpu made from bread? wow that's new - do you use to calculate your homework in the morning and eat it for lunch then?

you do mean the 6420? right

or is the 6240 the new intel cpu based on wheat flour?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Helpful as usual...

to the OP, do you have a spare PSU that you can try? Have you checked your supply power from the wall? That many MB's suggests to me that that you have a further problem, and it doesn't seem to resemble any CPU issues that I'm familiar with.

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Congratz on being a jerk :heink:

Defiantly sounds like heat problems. I cant exactly say that its the processor but it seems like it is the only item other than the memory that you have not replaced. and have you checked your power supply voltage yet?. You will prolly find it to be one of those three.
GL

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Hello there, jackass.

@OP: I agree that the PSU might be the culprit. Try to get your hands on another one and test it. If not, it's probably the CPU... RMA it or replace it.