External Enclosure with SATA drive - shows up, but files won't move!

Tobuscus

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
I use Vista, but I'm not positive this is a Vista problem...

External Enclosure (SATA) in Vista - when I try to copy files to/from the drive, it says: "Could not find this item"

I recently put a 400 GB Samsung Spinpoint SATA drive into an External Enclosure. The drive worked fine when it was in my desktop (and still does when I transfer it back), but when I put it into the enclosure, strange things happen.

When I try to copy to or from the external (in Vista), it says "You must provide administrator permission to copy this folder."

You think "That's what Vista always does - make you click as many buttons as possible at all times." but on my roommate's external HD (an Element, not an ext. enclosure), Vista doesn't say I require permission to read/write.

Anyway, on my enclosure, it asks for permission, so I click "Continue" and then the screen comes up where it says "Windows needs your permission to continue" (more permission) - and THEN, it says "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in G:\Pictures\School. Verify the item's location and try again."

But nothing moved, nothing was unplugged, it just suddenly forgets where the item is.

If I put the same HD back into my PC (internally) right afterwards, it shows up and everything is accessible.

Any ideas?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Have you tried to turn off the user account controls?

I really don't have any ideas but i'm sure this is more helpful than "flush vista down the toilet" junk

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I don't know about that, I like the idea. DIE VISTA DIE!

Tobuscus

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Hahah! I actually tried it on my PC too and remember it having some sort of problem.

True though, I hate Vista. Is the downgrade to XP good?