Sign in with
Your question

New e4300 build - wont post - died in BIOS

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 28, 2007 9:49:19 PM

Hey, 1st post and its a keeper...

I built a new comp for my brother, first time with a c2d. I built it, powered it on, went into the bios and was changing the boot order when the computer just died. It reset on its own, did not post, no beeps and the CPU fan would not spin(prior to closing the case the fan did spin when I tried powering it up). I tried connecting the CPU fan to the case fan connector and that also did not work.

I tried disconnecting the HD, the DVD, and tried it with just 1 stick of RAM. I also reconnected all cables. It gives no video output, just a black screen. I can hear the HD spin up, and DVD coming on. The HD light on the front of the case blinks non-stop. I also tried reseting the BIOS.

I think either the CPU is dead or there is a problem with the mobo. Why won't the fan spin? I have never seen or heard of a computer crashing in the BIOS

My brother = sad

Sys Spec:

MEM 1Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2G8002
XFX 8600GT 256MB
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R 775
C2D E4300 1.8G 775
Seagate Barracuda 320gig SATA
Antec 500w PSU
Case: Centurion

More about : e4300 build wont post died bios

July 28, 2007 11:08:14 PM

wow

thats unusual for those parts - its probably the memory - pull one stick and try each in slot 3

if you get into the bios raise the memory voltage
July 29, 2007 7:53:22 AM

murph8488q said:
Hey, 1st post and its a keeper...

I built a new comp for my brother, first time with a c2d. I built it, powered it on, went into the bios and was changing the boot order when the computer just died. It reset on its own, did not post, no beeps and the CPU fan would not spin(prior to closing the case the fan did spin when I tried powering it up). I tried connecting the CPU fan to the case fan connector and that also did not work.

I tried disconnecting the HD, the DVD, and tried it with just 1 stick of RAM. I also reconnected all cables. It gives no video output, just a black screen. I can hear the HD spin up, and DVD coming on. The HD light on the front of the case blinks non-stop. I also tried reseting the BIOS.

I think either the CPU is dead or there is a problem with the mobo. Why won't the fan spin? I have never seen or heard of a computer crashing in the BIOS

My brother = sad

Sys Spec:

MEM 1Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2G8002
XFX 8600GT 256MB
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R 775
C2D E4300 1.8G 775
Seagate Barracuda 320gig SATA
Antec 500w PSU
Case: Centurion

If the board does not power on then it could be the PS or motherboard. The PS provides a signal to the motherboard called power good. If the PS never sends that then the board will not turn on.

Try removing all of the memory and then power the board up. Most bioses have a memory detection check and if it is not there the board provides some type of notice.

Try reseting your processors and then reset your Bios. Then attempt to power it on.
Related resources
July 29, 2007 2:34:30 PM

I think it's probably the Antec power supply. Ive had three of these die after a few secondes. They used to be a trusted brand but I won't touch them with a Bargepole. Quiet PC sell some good quality supplies and are very quick.
July 29, 2007 3:10:11 PM

Sounds like the PSU fried the mobo to me...
!