Best non-classroom way to learn to program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jereack

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hey, guys and/or girls, I need to know the best and most efficient way to learn C++, Java, or Python.
I've always wanted to learn to program and I almost have no experience with any language aside from some "tutorials" I've been reading which haven't really been doing too well. If you could give me some links or anything, I would much appreciate it, Thanks!!

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
For Java, go and install Eclipse.

Search the web for sample programs. This seems like an ok start. Oracle have some of the concepts here.

Alternatively just pick up a Java basics book or find a pdf version online. However it's better to read and try what they are saying than just reading.

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I would go with C++, it is a bit harder to learn, but once you learn it, you can do anything and everything with it. Also switching to another language and/or platform will be easy.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Hello world in the three different languages...

Python:

#!/usr/bin/env python
print "Hello, World!"

Java:

class HelloWorld {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("Hello World!");
} }

public static void main(String[] args);

C++:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, and no...

Basic is a perfectly acceptable first language depending upon your needs. If your goal is to learn a modern object oriented programming language, then no, basic is not the right choice. However there is something to be said for simplicity as your first language. If not we would all be learning assembler, forth, or machine language as our first language.

I personally think that learning Java, or C++ as a first language sets the learner up for a hard time. They are both object oriented languages but they are heavily influenced by functional programming. Ruby, Python, Smalltalk and others like them have greater emphasis on object oriented design and implementation. The higher level languages also take some of the grunt work out of programming. You have less syntax to learn, and can focus more on the fundamentals of programming.

If the ultimate goal is to program for the web, then a programming language such as Ruby, Python, Javascript or Java would be more appropriate. If they are wanting to program for desktop application then C++, Python or VisualBasic might be the best way to go.

The reason I suggested Python is that it is easy to learn, its very object oriented, it is well suited to the web, or as a desktop language, and it has lots of Monty Python references in the documentation.

Actually Ruby fits a lot of those criteria as well, but he specifically mentioned python in his first post.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Aren't things starting to be more geared towards C# and VB? that is where i was told to start...but Java is probably right up there.

Or I know not what I'm talking about :)

randomizer

Champion
Java or C# are both good languages, and both similar enough that you could learn one and pick up the other without too much relearning. VB.NET (I assume you don't mean VB 6.0 or VBA) is much too wordy a language IMO. You will learn the same .NET framework in both VB.Net and C#, but the latter will be better on a resume/CV, since more software is developed in C#. Learning both is better still.

Tony2000

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I've always thought that videos were the best way to learn, well at least they are for me especially if you have a laptop (or two computer screens). Having someone show me the code while they are talking on screen and then having the ability to pause and then try out what they are showing me has always been the way that I have found that the information I'm trying to learn sinks in.

give www.programmingwizardry.com a try, their site is packed full of programming tutorials and its absolutely free. so its win win. Happy coding! :)

alexpcoleman

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
I'm writing a book, "Your First Web App", containing a step-by-step guide that will help you through creating your very own first web app, from start to finish.

If you're interested in getting into the exciting world of web development (but may not know where to begin), click the link below to sign up for updates on the book's progress:

http://www.alexpcoleman.com/your-first-web-app/

Anton Smirnov

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

I'd recommend CppDroid app - new C/C++ IDE on Android. It has a lot of included C/C++ examples and tutorials. Blog: http://cppdroid.blogspot.com, Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.antonsmirnov.android.cppdroid

LukeJenkins

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

Hey Jereack,

I feel that the C programming language is a great place to start learning how to program and build a foundation for other language like they teach at Universities. If your interested, I would check out our blog at www.blog.codestart.com and our website at www.codestart.com. We have free content to learn how to code and are launching a free course with videos and interactive software. Learning to code is fun and a great skill to have!

- Luke Jenkins
Lead Software Engineer
CodeStart, LLC
Blog: www.blog.codestart.com

Status
Not open for further replies.