High system temps on Ga-p35-dq6

jhan1

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
This is a new system build. First thing i did was remove the crazycool backplate and install my zalman. I was a little concerned about the acorn nuts used to hold the silent pipe setup on the NB. The spring loaded screws only tighten so far into the nuts so im not sure i am getting good contact there. My "system" temperature as reported in bios and with everest is low 50's at idle and low 60's after some gaming. This seems way to high to me. Cpu temps are nice at low 30's idle, low 40's load.
My old asus board always stayed at the mid 30's range idle and load. I sent Gigabyte an e-mail but no reply yet. Any suggestions are apprecited, Thanks

P.S., Is the system temp on these boards the temperature of the north bridge, or is it just a reading of the whole board in general?

jhan1

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
What case are you using vonmayr and how many fans are in it? I'm using a coolermaster stacker 830 evolution that just came with the 2 stock intake and exhaust fans. They don't seem to push much air for a case that is supposed to keep things cool.
I've got 3 more 120mm fans coming tomorrow, I hope this keeps my board at 40 too. I've only had this board for a few days so i guess i could rma it but that is a hassle.

abel

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
jhahn1, the system temp is not the NB temp, it comes from a sensor component on the board. You probably don't have enough case air flow-through. And think about it, the exceptional heat sink system on this board is going to leach heat away from the board extremely well - but it's still up to you to get rid of the heat. I think you're on the right track with more fans...

jhan1

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Thanks abel, This is a whole new system so alot is new to me. This morning i remembered i had a slot cooler card in the storeroom. Stuck it in place and at even low speeds it kept the board at 40c. I then ran 3dmark 06 and it only went up to 42c.
My new fans should be here this afternoon. I bought 3 thermaltake 120mm. I should probably replace the stock fans first. I can tell I'll be ordering more for this system already, Oh well, Thats the fun of it!!!
Thanks for the replies everyone, at least (I don't think) it is a problem with the motherboard. Any other thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.