Sign in with
Your question

File System Not Recognized

Last response: in Storage
September 27, 2007 4:02:59 PM

I am trying to figure out a problem with my boss's comptuer. She has a computer at work and computer at home. They are both dells, and, if I remember correctly, they are even the same model. She uses the same program at home and at work and backs up her data on a CD-RW. The problem is that lately, what she has backed up at home, doesn't show up on the computer at work. The files are saved in zip format. The computer can read zip format and has no problem extracting zipped files. In windows explorer, it shows one zip file on the drive that is at least a couple of weeks old. However if I go to the command prompt and type d:\ to access the drive, it says
"The volume does not contain a recognized file system" In other computers, it shows that there are 5 files on the drive, all .zip

Any thoughts on how to repair this?

More about : file system recognized

September 27, 2007 8:44:08 PM

Could try opening it or copying it to the hdd using the program you used to copy the data to the CDRW. Could try updating the firmware. Also possible the drive is going bad. You should convince her to either get a flash drive or if has a a lot of data, an external drive. Using a CDRW really doesn't make sense these days
September 27, 2007 9:03:36 PM

If you can see it in explorer you could always just copy it to the HDD from there instead of going to the command prompt.

But I agree with g-paw's post, convince her to get a flash drive. Bigger than a CD-RW (so you wouldn't necessarily have to zip things), faster, you don't need any special software, you pretty much just treat it like a normal drive on the system.
Related resources
September 27, 2007 9:51:32 PM

You can't see the files in windows explorer. it only shows one zip. There should be 5 zip files. That is the only computer that can't read the other files. The files are not large by any means. They are just database files that the program automatically zips.

The drive is not bad becasue it can read other cd's and I swapped one of them out with a new one just to be sure.

I have told her to get a flash drive but she is computer illiterate and wants to stick with the CD's because that is what she knows
September 27, 2007 10:05:12 PM

jedi940 said:
You can't see the files in windows explorer. it only shows one zip. There should be 5 zip files. That is the only computer that can't read the other files. The files are not large by any means. They are just database files that the program automatically zips.

The drive is not bad becasue it can read other cd's and I swapped one of them out with a new one just to be sure.

I have told her to get a flash drive but she is computer illiterate and wants to stick with the CD's because that is what she knows

Buy her a 1GB for $20 or less. Once she learns to use it, you might get a raise :)  She sounds like my wife and since I got her her first flash drive, she's gone out and bought 2 or 3 more.
September 27, 2007 11:22:29 PM

Sounds like the system is having problems handling multi-session CDs. Has anything been installed on the PC when this started to show up? Since it is a problem only on the one system I suspect it is an application conflict or possibly a driver issue on that system.
September 27, 2007 11:50:54 PM

Have you switched CD brand media lately? In any event try a different brand.
September 28, 2007 2:54:41 AM

i think she did just get new cd's. However i find it odd that it will read one file and not the others. Although that would explain the multi session problem suggested by firemist. What if I installed a burning program like roxio? Do you think that will all it to read multisession cd's?
September 28, 2007 4:00:44 AM

Readers and burners both can be very picky about media, partial reading of a disc is NOT uncommon, it's actually quite common, trust me, I've seen it a hundred times. Try going back to the old brand that was working.

Problems with reading homemade discs are usually due to media. It's worth a try anyway.
!