sound card swap worth it for vista?

kit352

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
just got a new system and trying to use what ever old components i still have and really like. my current situation is i absolutely love my fortissimo 7.1 sound card and id like to put it in my new system. it currently runs realtek hd onboard and works fine but some games are a little laggy and if putting in my other sound card would help that it would be a plus. i just really loved that card and i refuse to buy a new one esp. creative. i hate them and always will. i know my running vista32 will have a few side effects on the card but is it really a big deal? is it a decent swap or should i just keep the realtek and cry about the lose of the hercules? i dont need the cutting edge stuff just basic goodness is fine. im trying to free up some stuff with out breaking the bank. computer is an amdx2 4400 with 2 gigs of memory and nvidia 6150 video.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
Are you talking about a video card or sound card? If you want to reuse your old card it must have drivers for Vista otherwise there's almost no chance it will work. You do have onboard video, I don't know whether you meant to talk about upgrades for that.

kit352

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
talking about sound card. the fortissimo i have does have drivers for vista although i would lose some functionality. i havent tried the switch yet cause im waiting for some more stuff to come in. i need a video card more than i need a sound card but im broke after getting the system so im trying to cut corners where i can buy reusing old stuff.