Need help choozing a gpu, questions about a x1950xt

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2007 12:12:13 AM

Hi, I was thinking about upgrading my system with a new GPU, and wondered if any hardware savy, up to date someone could help me, explain to me couple things. These are my specs: Asus P5W DH Delxe motherboard, 2 GB of Corsair XMS 2 800 ram,core 2 duo E6600, and an oldie Sapphire x8500xt gpu, Im planing on getign a better gpu, to my reazonably good pc(atleast thats what i think it is ;) ) I was thinking about getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950XT 256MB gpu, since at this time $$ is a concern to me, and I found this card to be available for sub $200 prices, I also need to get a new PSU since my current one is only 480W, and i assumed that a good high vatage(650W-700W)would set me back by around $130/$150, so all in all I dont want to spend more than $300/$350 on the gpu and the psu combined.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this card worth getting? I looked at some of the HD 2xxx series but performance wise i would have to pay much more, and currently Im unable to do so.

2. Will this card be futureproof (relatively, for about 2 years or so?) sonsidering its MS 3.0 (and i know the HD series is SM 4.0)for now I can only use a max resolution of 1280x1024, and im not planing on getting a beter monitor for the next year or two, so will this card max out most of the games that will be out next year in DX 9 mode?(i know its hard to tell, but just approximetly) im interested in games like Crysis, Half life 2, Team Fortress 2, Stalker,portal, Medieval 2, Command and Conquer 3, Starcraft 2?

So all in all my question is: Will I be able to max out games now, and in the next year(such as the ones listed) at the 1280x1024 rezolution, only on DX9 with the current rig + the 1950xt card?

3. For those that have the x1950xt series, how is it with current games? Are You satisfied with it? What games do You play at simmilar to mine resolution? at max settings?

4. How much more are the gameplay vizuals better in SM 3.0 mode than they are using SM 2.0, is there a vizible vizual improvement? will I be a ....WoW'ed by the transition form the x850xt to the 1950xt?

5. What PSu would You recommend? one that would preferaby have the new plug dezigns? (8 pin if im not mistaken, so i wouldnt need to get a new psu for a new gpu..the one after i buy the 1950xt ;) )

Im not planing on getting the HD series since i dont really think they are worth gettgin, power consumption wize to performance ratio, and I also know that M$ will be releasing new DX11 at the beginning of 2009, so...I kindof want to skip the dx10 series in all honesty, (or atleast the R700 will come out, and then ill wait for a price drop in those since those will be already 65nm chips), so hopefully there wont be games that absolutely require SM 4.0 comming out soon. Since I noticed that many games nowedays begin to require SM 3.0 just to run them.

Thank You for Your time, any, and all comments welcome.

More about : choozing gpu questions x1950xt

August 6, 2007 12:31:48 AM

Well..I'll let someone else mention the PSU. But regarding the x1950XTX..it is a great card I'll give it that. How much did you find it for though?..cause overall it's not THAT much of an improvement over the x1950xt which can be bought for 160 on newegg..A saphire model. If it's in the 200-230 range it isn't worth it imo. You'll only see a few frames noticeable improvment in most games...between 0-10...most the time between the 2-6 depending on what resolutions you play in. Overall the g92 should be coming out this year...When it does the 8800GTX and GTS models should drop in price...maybe the best thing to do would be to nab a psu and wait?..or if you want you can just nab one of these...

There would really be no future proofing grabbing a DX9 card..You'll be able to play the DX10 games of course but under DX9...But if a game is exclusive DX10 (doubt it but who knows..could happen)..You wouldn't be able to play it. Overall it's up to what you want to do. I was planning to just get my new rig with a q6600 and a x1950xt for temporary till the mid range penryn and high end g92 came out..But now I'mma just wait...still gotta wait for x38 but gotta nab a g92 also..with a q6600 for temp.

So yea..The choices is yours...regardless those they are great cards...They can stay on the heels of the 8800 series cards...Although they will almost never pass them except in a few games....
August 6, 2007 12:33:09 AM

I don't think with your configuration that you need a new PSU. 1950XT IS the bang for your buck for 9c games. With your cpu, you should have no problem hitting all the highest settings of todays game and maybe most of next years game. And good thinking, skipping the DX10 cards :) 
Related resources
August 6, 2007 12:41:52 AM

thx for the reply, yes i found teh x1950xt for that $170, and was thinking about getting that one, i got the rest of my hardware as soon the E6600 came out , and the psu from my old pc (Thermaltake 480W, but it only has i think 12 amps, so i definitively need a beter psu:(  )

and as I mentioned with dx11 comming out rather soon(2009) I was thinking about skipping dx10, considering that i dont really want to install vista. is this card a good one, lets say if i would like to think of geting a new one in that 2009 , just looking at teh past implementations, what do You guyz thik ? will the dx10 exclusive(no dx9 support) games flod teh market in 2008? or will there be some backwards compatibility till the end of 2008? considering not so many plp moved to vista ;)  will the x1950xt be good enough for that price(since im a bit limited with my funds, or should i look around for the 512 bm versions? or teh xtx ones?

thank you
August 6, 2007 12:54:17 AM

1. yes, absolutely, it's by far the best card under $200, get it

2. no, you won't max out anything, since these games will be designed and tested on 8800 GTX SLI, but you will get decent fps at decent quality settings

Look here:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=724&model2=778&chart=296

An 8800 GTS 320 MB gets 31 fps in Oblivion outdoors, the x1950xt gets 21 fps. This is at your resolution with max quality. If you can afford the 8800 GTS go for it, it's worth the additional money IMO. I believe 30 fps is the normal TV rate, BTW. The x1950xt will not feel so smooth in that particular game, but most games are less demanding and will do fine on the x1950xt.

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W, for example, or Corsair 520HX.
August 6, 2007 1:03:02 AM

illuminatirex said:
thx for the reply, yes i found teh x1950xt for that $170, and was thinking about getting that one, i got the rest of my hardware as soon the E6600 came out , and the psu from my old pc (Thermaltake 480W, but it only has i think 12 amps, so i definitively need a beter psu:(  )

and as I mentioned with dx11 comming out rather soon(2009) I was thinking about skipping dx10, considering that i dont really want to install vista. is this card a good one, lets say if i would like to think of geting a new one in that 2009 , just looking at teh past implementations, what do You guyz thik ? will the dx10 exclusive(no dx9 support) games flod teh market in 2008? or will there be some backwards compatibility till the end of 2008? considering not so many plp moved to vista ;)  will the x1950xt be good enough for that price(since im a bit limited with my funds, or should i look around for the 512 bm versions? or teh xtx ones?

thank you

The move to DX10 is quite slow atm. It hasn't matured yet and won't, I believe, till late 2008 maybe 2009. I dunno why DX11 is coming out so soon tho...As for PSU, you can get a 700 watt one, made by OCZ for 104.99 bucks with the mir(free shipping too):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or get it at clubit.com for 92.98 bucks but with $9 shipping:
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA62765...
!