Sign in with
Your question

Best size monitor for gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2007 3:42:26 AM

I'm planning on upgrading my monitor in a few months. I would like to get a 24" widescreen LCD. I'm going to be running it with a Vista machinge, Q6600 and a BFG 8800GTS OC2 640Mb. I'd like to know if this size screen poses any problems or if it is possibly too large for gaming purposes. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

More about : size monitor gaming

a c 363 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
August 6, 2007 4:11:23 AM

It is entirely possible to play games on a 24" monitor with your GPU. Simply look for reviews for the 8800GTS and concentrate on the 1920 x 1200 resolution benchmarks.

I would suggest you look for a monitor that is capable of doing 1:1 bit mapping in case you want to lower the resolution, but you don't want the reduced resolution to fill up the screen.

1:1 bit mapping will only use the exact amount of pixels necessary to display the image (or game) in the center of the screen. The rest of the screen will be black. Thus, this maintains the best image quality. The Dell 2407WFP-HC is just one of many that have this feature.

The alternative is to simply use a lower resolution while keeping everything full screen. Images will not be as sharp, but they definitely will not be horrible.
August 6, 2007 4:51:09 AM

1. Depends if ur card can handle the rez. A GTS WILL struggle at 19x12

2. How close is the monitor.

With my 20" 14x10 with a 320gts gives a min fps that will keep me happy till the end of the year. Then new games will start to hurt it.
Also, with my average size desk a 20" is just about right. 22" would probably be even a little big. Ive tried on the lcd tv in my room, 26-28"? and thats just too big for comfort.

Charts...

37fps in BF2142 ISNT great. Oblivion will run at 20fps.
Related resources
August 6, 2007 7:13:31 AM

id go with a 20" or 22" 1650 x 1080

the reason i would choose the 20" is because its the same resolution as the 22" but the pixels are smaller meaning the picture quality is much sharper/crisper

this one looks pretty good but there may be better if you look around

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

August 6, 2007 8:02:15 AM

I recently bought a 20" 1680X1080 and it's pretty much perfect, it does 1:1 bitmaping so if a game doesn't support 1680X1080, or my graphics card starts choking i just set my res down to 1280X1025 and it's still perfectly big enough. And i agree with demowhc, that little extra crispness makes a difference when comparing a 20" to a 22" at the same res. But if you don't have 20:10 vision and you like a bit more size then the 22" should be fine to.

My recommendation would be a 20" or 22", 1680X1050 res monitor with a refresh below 5 ms and at least 500 contrast ratio. Mines a 2000 contrast ratio, it doesn't look that much different from a 500 unless I'm looking at still pictures, games look marginally better.
August 6, 2007 8:52:26 AM

Try nto tog et one with over 2mega pixels, more pixels, the less FPS and the bigger impact on performance everytime you enabled a high wuality setting.

1280x1024 or 1400x100 or something like those resolutions depending on if its widescreen or not, those are good for 17/19inch's.
August 6, 2007 11:05:11 AM

1400x100? :)  pretty sure you mean 1440x900. I got a 22" Chiemei (221D), pretty happy with it, only prob is that the radeon doesn't keep up too good, so instead of 1680x1050 i need to use 1440x900 for supreme commander.
It's upscaling is really good though, I would recommend this as a budget monitor for sure.
August 6, 2007 3:00:20 PM

Thanks alot for the responses. I appreciate it.

I had heard that a big screen can do a number on your neck if its close and your swiveling your head around alot. I wouldn't know. I have to say that my current 19" CRT (18" diagonal) is pretty nice for gaming, but I want some more desk space and want to go bigger. Bigger is better...? I figure a 24" LCD will be the defacto standard soon as Best Buy has like 5 or 6 models in store all of a sudden. Hell...I can get a 24" ws LCD monitor for less than I paid for my 18" CRT. The screen will probably be about 3 feet away, no more than that.

The one thing that bugs me about the widescreen monitors is that you seem to lose a bit of verticle space and most games (from what I've read) don't let you take advantage of the widescreen feature. That's kinda why I figure if I go to a 24" widescreen, I'll have decent verticle height still. Feel free to straighten me out on that as I'm not up to speed on how games are presented on a widescreen. I assume you can stretch them to fit the widescreen aspect ratio? Most games designed with 4:3 aspect ratio in mind? If you don't stretch them to fit, I assume you have black bars left and right?

Thanks again for the responses.
August 6, 2007 4:08:28 PM

If you going for any modern game, it's almost heresy nowadays to not allow the game's rendering engine to do widescreen. Certain games are built around widescreen. I know I cannot play Halo 2 on my PC (WinXP) without putting it in a window and rendering at 1280x720. It's just too tunnel-vision if I don't.

Personally, I don't think there's such a thing as "too big." This comes from someone who games on a 21" and 19" CRT. I would love to run a 30" LCD, but I can't afford it :-) I run my games at 1600x1200 so that not being able to enable maxed anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering isn't such a big deal. There are so many pixels in front of me that I don't notice jaggies. They're too small.

I imagine the same is true of a 1920x1200 24"er. My buddy has one and loves it.

Sure, you could spend less on a 15" LCD that does 1024x768 and then enable 8xAA and 16xAF in all games as long as you sat 1-1.5 feet from the screen :-)

Just my rambling thoughts.
August 6, 2007 4:26:11 PM

I have the Gateway 24" and a Nvida 7950GT, and I have NO ISSUES what so ever with running games at 1900x1200. C&C3/CSS/Company of Heroes and WoW.

I love the big wide screen gaming, there is a difference and you do get to see more with them.

Only real reason I can figure out for people not wanting you to get a 24" monitor is because they can't afford one right now or spent that money on something else.

My card isn't the best, but has no problem with my monitor and with all eye candy set to max. Sometims I have to back off some on the eye candy, but that is not the norm.
August 6, 2007 4:41:43 PM

scubageek said:
I have the Gateway 24" and a Nvida 7950GT, and I have NO ISSUES what so ever with running games at 1900x1200. C&C3/CSS/Company of Heroes and WoW.

I love the big wide screen gaming, there is a difference and you do get to see more with them.

Only real reason I can figure out for people not wanting you to get a 24" monitor is because they can't afford one right now or spent that money on something else.

My card isn't the best, but has no problem with my monitor and with all eye candy set to max. Sometims I have to back off some on the eye candy, but that is not the norm.

Thanks for the input. I might have a hard time holding myself back from a 24" monitor. Obviously the more pixels you have to move, the harder it is on your graphics card, but...I'll keep researching. The monitor needs to game well. I typically play the latest FPS type games. I'm waiting on my Q6600 and Abit motherboard and I'm all set to build my new system. I'll be buying the monitor closer to the holidays.
August 6, 2007 5:07:10 PM

Hi I´m from Lima-Peru so please forget my bad english ...

I recommend to go with the screen that allows you to literally match the size of your hands with the game ... for example the last year i had a 24"
inch silicon graphics monitor that match the size of my hands with the hands of the fps character in doom ...

Otherwise if you dont want to go to crazy choose a dell or a vx2025wm
viewsonic (i had this one) with is the best lcd 20" monitor by far because its a Premium MVA panel no PVA or else ... if it says less than 5ms probable the color will look bad, not 16.7 millions of real colors just 16.2 and beleive me that matters ...washed colors looks like...

Here´s a superb review look the average rating 4 average of 5 in the viewsonic...

www.behardware.com/articles/619-1/updated-survey-13-lcd... 0-5-6-8-16-ms.html (copy all url)

And consider the samsung twice with this article or be carefull choosing the correct one, many people had problems like this one:

www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s... e-verdict.html (copy all url)

I hope u may find this usefull ...

Omar
August 6, 2007 6:02:57 PM

gooman said:
Thanks for the input. I might have a hard time holding myself back from a 24" monitor. Obviously the more pixels you have to move, the harder it is on your graphics card, but...I'll keep researching. The monitor needs to game well. I typically play the latest FPS type games. I'm waiting on my Q6600 and Abit motherboard and I'm all set to build my new system. I'll be buying the monitor closer to the holidays.

Honestly my system plays the games well, AMD 4200, 939, 2 gigs OCZ RAM, 7950GT, 24" Gateway monitor.

I do have a DS3R and q6600 ordered and hopefully will ship today. :sol: 

I have no issues with gaming what so ever. Doesn't mean any new games coming out I wouldn't, just that as of right now, I haven't come across any that I can't play with high eye candy settings with my 24" monitor with my 7950GT.

Someone with a 8800 should have no problems gaming with a 24" monitor.

Though I will say this, the only real problem I have had with my monitor is that it does put off some heat. Other than that, it is a beautiful monitor.

August 6, 2007 7:12:33 PM

Hi gooman,

Quote:
as Best Buy has like 5 or 6 models in store all of a sudden.

Instead of buying it from Bestbuy, go to NewEgg, prices are cheaper and what it cost in shipping is usually lower then paying taxes at store. Also try to get the LCD monitor with 8MS or less, they look and run better for playing games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020+1309821328&name=24%22

Here are two that are a bit bigger and cost about the same as the 24" LCD Monitors'.

Customer Reviews for Acer AL2616Wd Silver 25.5" 5ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support 500 cd/m2 800:1 (DCR 1600:1) - Retail $599.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009101

ViewSonic VX2835WM 28" 3ms(GTG) HDMI W/ HDCP Widescreen LCD Monitor Built in Speakers - Retail $669.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116084

The best brands you can get are, Samsung, Viewsonic, Acer and then Dell (Samsung supplies the panels). Also 24 " LCD's run from $500 and up.

Hope this helped you out some.
August 6, 2007 7:56:45 PM

I've got a friend who just bought two of these 22" Samsungs for his system instead of a 24". He was wanting to get a 24", but he couldn't justify paying that much for a monitor (and a second videocard he'd probably need). He's using a 7600GT, and they look amazing. This monitor's easily one of the best (if not the best) monitors I've ever seen. Just my 2 cents...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 7, 2007 3:09:30 PM

I've had the 24" Gateway FPD2485W since Christmas, and it absolulely rocks. If your room has no windows, then the Samsungs are good with a brightness of 300cd/m^2, but if you have windows it might be worth it to spent more and get the Gateway. It's brightness is 500cd/m2, and it has all the other bells and whistles (like 1000:1 contrast and 8ms refresh, HDCP, USB hub, 1:1, etc), and best of all, it can play 1080p, so you are future proofed for at least a few years. The image is gorgeous.
However, my x1950pro 512mb is not able to push enough pixels to max out anything with this monitor, so I'm limping along until the G92 comes out around Christmas. Vista looks fantastic, but games are either 1920x1200, or the effects are up, but not both.
The one argument I have against spending a lot on a monitor is the the technology is changing VERY quickly right now, so what rocks this year, will look old and tired in just a few years.
August 7, 2007 3:55:58 PM

I'd personally stay away from the 24" at this point, pretty much without exception. If you feel like upgrading GPUs every time a new one comes out, then I wouldn't hesitate to go 19x12. I, however, can't justify doing that, so I prefer the lower res 16x10 of a 22". I'm sorry, but your GTS WILL struggle at games like Oblivion at 19x12.

I got the above-linked Samsung 226BW a few months ago (yea, at best buy for 3 reasons: 1: Same price on sale as newegg; and 2: no worry about dead pixels; 3: 30 days to return for any reason)

I love it. I sit a couple feet away and to me the size is just about perfect. And my x1800xt can run the darn thing without much of a problem.

24" simply doesn't seem like much more space than a 22 when compared side to side, at least to me. Personally, I'd rather go bigger if I were going to 19x12, as, at least for gaming, the immersiveness of having one's field of view occupied by the monitor is more valuable than a slight increase in sharpness. I think that's one reason I favor my new 22" WS over my old 19" CRT that ran on most games at 16x12.

Sorry about the incoherence of the above.

Just my $0.02
August 7, 2007 3:57:32 PM

I just built my new machine this last weekend (it's in my signature) and I run it on a 40" Samsung 1080p LCD TV. Looks amazing!

However, prior to that I had an Athlon FX-62 with a Radeon x1950XT and I had no isses either. I maxed BF2142 settings and it still looked fine to me.

just a quick 2C... could eb a differnet scenario for you.
August 7, 2007 4:30:24 PM

chief5286 said:
I'd personally stay away from the 24" at this point, pretty much without exception. If you feel like upgrading GPUs every time a new one comes out, then I wouldn't hesitate to go 19x12. I, however, can't justify doing that, so I prefer the lower res 16x10 of a 22". I'm sorry, but your GTS WILL struggle at games like Oblivion at 19x12.

I got the above-linked Samsung 226BW a few months ago (yea, at best buy for 3 reasons: 1: Same price on sale as newegg; and 2: no worry about dead pixels; 3: 30 days to return for any reason)

I love it. I sit a couple feet away and to me the size is just about perfect. And my x1800xt can run the darn thing without much of a problem.

24" simply doesn't seem like much more space than a 22 when compared side to side, at least to me. Personally, I'd rather go bigger if I were going to 19x12, as, at least for gaming, the immersiveness of having one's field of view occupied by the monitor is more valuable than a slight increase in sharpness. I think that's one reason I favor my new 22" WS over my old 19" CRT that ran on most games at 16x12.

Sorry about the incoherence of the above.

Just my $0.02

Thanks Chief...I have to laugh when I think that I'm playing FEAR online at something like 800X600 so that I can get at least 15 fps :D  ...no kidding! Man, I can't wait to game at a decent resolution with 60 fps or so :bounce:  . It's kinda blowing my mind to think of a resolution like 1900X1200 or 1600X1000. I'm starting to think that the 22" WS is a good compromise in both price and future-proofing. I'm big on making things last seeing that my current system is almost 5 years old. As I mentioned earlier though, I'm a bit concerned about loosing verticle height with a 22" WS versus a 20" 4:3. I'll have to check out the difference in height (probably not anything significant though).

Thanks for the input folks.
!