Hard Drive access via HTTP

Townshend

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I'm looking to upgrade my external storage. One of the features I would like is to have the ability to view and manage my files on the hard drive over the web, but via HTTP. Are there any drives that currently offer this capability or any software? The drive will most likely be connected to another PC via USB 2.0 or FireWire 800. I am also looking for a capacity of 2TB. Thank You!

Townshend

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I should also mention that a software solution would be fine as well. If there is a piece of software that I can install to the PC that is connected to the external drive that will then setup some sort of web server with various management tools.

dg6464

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
I personally use HFS... It is a great, free Web-server that is a single executable file that offers user log-in access, many user accounts, uploading, downloading, and you can even customize the HTML Template. Try it out, it's free. As for the hard-drive, you'd be best to find some sort of NAS enclosure like the D-LINK DNS-232 (I hear is not amazing, but is a good example) that offers Gigabit LAN, and USB, and also RAID so you can use two 1TB Hitachi's or something. Hope this helps!

DG6464

Note: The expensive NAS enclosures offering RAID also generally offer some sort of HTTP or FTP based web access. I personally like to use my machine as a gateway to the box through HFS or Apache. Just map the drive as a shared drive on the PC, set it up as a virtual drive in HFS, and set user account access to it. I also use HFS to link to my VNC server through the Java option. It's a great all-around free solution for software.

zeek987

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
dg6464 --- could you possibly explain a little more about how you have your computer, vnc, and the HFS program setup?
I'd love to be able to use VNC to get to my other computers and transfer files back and forth. thanks for any info you might provide.