Sign in with
Your question

Is a sapphire x1950xt beter than a gecube x1950xt? (256 vs 512)?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Heatsinks
  • Sapphire
  • Memory
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2007 5:29:22 AM

hi, i was planning on getting a sapphire x1950xt card with 256mb's but i noticed a gecube one with 512 or memory, both are ddr3, which one is better?
I initially would go with sapphire since i have one of their cards currently and did not had a single problem with it at all, but i notices that teh gecube has the new heatsink, is it better than the old one? more quiet? cooler?

sapphire:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 020 67

gcube:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank You for all comments.

More about : sapphire x1950xt beter gecube x1950xt 256 512

a b } Memory
August 6, 2007 5:57:47 AM

As long as the clock and bus speeds are the same, there shouldn't be much difference between the two. The one with more memory should allow for higher resolutions and better textures, but at lower resolutions there wouldn't be much difference frame wise. Its very possible one has a better cooling solution then the other, whether thats worth extra money is up to you.
August 6, 2007 6:08:28 AM

hi, thx for the reply, i forgot to mentione teh important part ...my monitor will only reach 1280x1024 rexolution, and my other specs are 2 gigs of ram, and a core 2 du o E6600, and also a sapphire x850xt.

so would the extra 256 bm's be worth that $30 more? is teh new cooling beter? than the old one? i couldnt find any review of the gecube card :( , which card is a better buy?
Related resources
a b } Memory
August 6, 2007 6:23:51 AM

I can't answer that as I can't get your first link to work. (not your fault, Toms has really crappy forum software now...) HIS often has really good cooling solutions, and $30 for double the ram is a pretty good price. While the res you play doesn't need it, if you can swing it I'd get the card with more ram. IMO, $30 is a low price to pay for what the card offers.
a b } Memory
August 6, 2007 6:32:07 AM

Its the Gcube one that has always worked, the Sapphire link has issues. And I meant to say gcube when I said HIS.
a b } Memory
August 6, 2007 7:59:15 AM

Random thoughts.

At the res you play at, I doubt there would be a difference at all. The Gcube because it has more memory is able to display uncompressed textures (ultra or high settings depending on the game). If you are a gamer, this might be worth it.

They are the same price, but only if you are willing to wait for the rebate.

The gcube lacks VIVO, while the sapphire has it. If you ever wanted to try recording stuff, this card would let you do it.

I still think I'd get the gcube. VIVO is nice, but the gcube allows for higher game settings.
August 6, 2007 7:23:41 PM

i have a tv wonder 650 and i often record tv shows on it (about 2 hours or an hour per week), but i guess the x850xt does not have the VIVO and i still am happy with the vizual quality that i get fom it (using that maximal mp4 encoding)
so i think i will go with the Gecube, althou I never had one of their cards ;)  ...btw i would be able to record the tv shows and such as well or even better than I am at present , is that correct? (since the 1950xt is a better card;))
btw I searched online for some info about the cooler that that gecube card has , in relation the the sapphire cooler, but I can not find any info anywhere :( , hopefully its more efficient, and quieter, since my current x850xt is sometimes driving me nuts, since i usually dont turn on the game sound so loud, nor do i like using headphones much)
thx again for teh comments, all were very helpful, if there is anythign more I am eager to know, I will probably read up some more and maby order teh gecube in about 6 or 7 hours, or tommorow afternoon, just to be certain im making the right choice.
August 6, 2007 8:32:04 PM

Quote:
Lemme get this right. Your asking if 512mb on your video card is better than 256mb??
I would think that common sense would tell you the more memory the better....guess not.

lol i dind not ask if 512 is beter than 256, i asked if the mamory will have any influence in watching videos/recording them, considering that gecube does not have avivo,, and had 512 bm's of memory, and the 256mb sapphire has avivo....thats what i ment ;) 
a b } Memory
August 6, 2007 8:43:26 PM

Whoa, hold up here. I said the Gcube doesn't have VIVO. As a product from the x1k series, it should still have AVIVO. There is a difference between VIVO and AVIVO. VIVO simply allows for video inputs along with the video outputs commonly found on video cards these days. AVIVO is built into the x1k series of cards and has NOTHING to do with inputting or outputting video. AVIVO is the feature that can transcode video using your AMD video card, or apply filters to video files so that they look better. While it lacks VIVO (not a biggie for you seeing as you have a dedicated card.), it should still support AVIVO.

Common sense? More like retarded thinking. Gone are the days where you know which card is faster because it has more memory. If you think more memory = better performance, please buy a 7600GS with 512MBs of ram. I'll buy a 7900GS with "only" 256MBs of ram. You tell me your frame rates, and I'll tell you mine. I suggest educating yourself with how video cards work. Look up the term clock speeds, bus width, pixel pipelines, pixel shader, and memory bandwith. Perhaps after doing some reading you'll understand how things work.
August 6, 2007 9:08:02 PM

4745454b said:
Whoa, hold up here. I said the Gcube doesn't have VIVO. As a product from the x1k series, it should still have AVIVO. There is a difference between VIVO and AVIVO. VIVO simply allows for video inputs along with the video outputs commonly found on video cards these days. AVIVO is built into the x1k series of cards and has NOTHING to do with inputting or outputting video. AVIVO is the feature that can transcode video using your AMD video card, or apply filters to video files so that they look better. While it lacks VIVO (not a biggie for you seeing as you have a dedicated card.), it should still support AVIVO.

Common sense? More like retarded thinking. Gone are the days where you know which card is faster because it has more memory. If you think more memory = better performance, please buy a 7600GS with 512MBs of ram. I'll buy a 7900GS with "only" 256MBs of ram. You tell me your frame rates, and I'll tell you mine. I suggest educating yourself with how video cards work. Look up the term clock speeds, bus width, pixel pipelines, pixel shader, and memory bandwith. Perhaps after doing some reading you'll understand how things work.

Thank You for all the information...and the patience with me ;) , lol sorry i read it as avivo(dint have much sleap since saturday...my reading got sloppy;))
I guess ill go with the Gecube card, since i Usually do not connect teh card to any other monitors, and teh added 2 times more memory I guess would help me squieez some more life out fo the card later on in that year or 2;).
thank You once again for all the help, the only thing now is to just find out wheather gecube is a reliable comapny ;) , and wheather their new(er) cooling solution is a good one, it looks like its a all copper hs, so thats good, and i read that its quite heavy, so i guess its really copper ...not painted aluminum(like it was teh case of my P5W - DH deluxe motherboards, pipes connecting the nothbridge, and southbridge :( )
the only thing ifound out about teh gecube cars is taht it has a 628MHz core clock and the sapphire one has a 625MHz core clock, that was the info on neweggs site(not even the gecube has the clocking info, nor does the ati site, they only have the xtx clocks), is this correct, i thought usually the clocks are rather simmilar, but i guess thats because its an "x series" ;)  lol overclocked by 3MHz ;)  lol
August 6, 2007 9:47:07 PM

I would say pay the extra $30, for double the RAM that is a small price to pay, and will help you in newer games and also allow you to turn up AA and stuff.
August 6, 2007 9:53:20 PM

^ thx for teh advice, I also think I will go with this (512) card, Im currently looking at a decent PSU, to match my power requirements....something not too big, with good efficiency, and possibly "disconnectable" cables, lol and maby 4 more new fans for my case, since i am still using the original thermaltake ones that came with my case about 3 years ago or so.
August 6, 2007 10:34:43 PM

"disconnectable" cables, the proper term is "modular" ;) 

Glad that you made your choice. good luck.
August 6, 2007 11:31:45 PM

SEALBoy said:
"disconnectable" cables, the proper term is "modular" ;) 

Glad that you made your choice. good luck.

thx :) , I forgot the exact name of it ...sorry ;) ...had less than 2 hours of sleep since saturday morning...I guess that might be the cause ;) 
Anonymous
August 7, 2007 12:52:00 AM

Hey guys, i was also looking into that same GeCube 1950XT and Sapphire one. I have a question concerning my power supply though. I cant find any info on how many amps or watts they take. If anyone has that info, please tell me.

My current PSU is rated at 460W max, Dual 12V rails both at 16Amps a rail. The link to it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817374001. Now I now its not a good name PSU manufact., but could I run this card without upgrading PSU for a while?

My other PC specs are:
Giga-byte M55SLI-N4
3800+ Orleans AM2
1GB DDR2 800
1*250GB SATA
1*DVD Drive
4*120mm LED fans and fan controller

I used the calculator at xtreme psu site and found that i should have enough watts, but im scared about the ampage.
August 7, 2007 12:58:15 AM

^ hi, im also concerned about my amps, and thats why i have to get a new psu, but not certain which one a 650W or a 700W one, to stay a bit "futureproof" for my next dx10 card which ill get in about a year or 2
a b } Memory
August 7, 2007 1:18:44 AM

Check AMDs website, but I think the XT takes either 28 or 30A on the 12V rail. The PSU you linked to can output a max of 320W on the 12V rail, which works out to 26.6A. (320 / 12) Considering the quality of the PSU, I would get a new one.
August 7, 2007 2:04:47 AM

hi, just found a good (i think psu), is this a good one?
would a 700W psu be an overkill?
a b } Memory
August 7, 2007 2:57:42 AM

No link, can't say if its good or not.
August 7, 2007 12:32:09 PM

the 700W is here, and i think it has much more wiring that i need, so i will be able to save smoe space since it modular:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/...

the second one is a 650W:

both are SLI certified, and are up to 85% efficient
the 700W one has a pciexpress 2.0 plug, and has lots of safety, and other certificates, so i was leaning more towards that one, even thou i think its a major overkill, and was initially thinking about going with a 650W PSU
August 7, 2007 12:41:50 PM

btw here is a complete list of thermaltake psu's:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/power_index...

btw is the imput current 10A mean that it takes 10A all the time or only at the peak, and takes in less when less power is consumed? im asking since my pc is plugged to a socket (in wall) that has a breaker of only 15Amps, and i also have a airconditioner connected to the came circuitbreaker in teh apartment which uses 4.9 Amps, so hopefully ill be able to use both at teh same time without straining the circuitry much.
a b } Memory
August 7, 2007 4:53:24 PM

Ref to 10 Amp input current. That rating would be for surge current when fully loaded. I would estimate a max of 5 A, more likely about 4A.
Based on 120V input, 80% eff. and 450 Watt required for computer system (Majority of 450 W required for 12V rail)
August 7, 2007 4:56:14 PM

^ thank You for the help so then i shouldnt be worried about it, i thought the GPU would used 10A all th eime. thank you agin.
a b } Memory
August 7, 2007 5:38:26 PM

I just checked my system (Replaced the PSU yesterday with a 850 Watt Antec quattro). My system :
E6400 @ 3.2 GHz
GPU - X1950XT, 256 for Mem. Clk running at 648 MHz
4 Sata HDD & two DVD burners

My system Idle at approx 1.6 A (Draw from the Mains) and with 3DMark06, or ATI tool with 3D View running I only draw 2.6 Amps from the mains. NOTE: this is not total Current, It does not include my Monitor, 2 printers, sound system.

Please note, If you are running a computer off of the same line as a A/C - It will cause spikes and momentary decrease in AC voltage as the compressor cycles on and off.
August 7, 2007 5:48:49 PM

^ thank you for all the details, very helpful, thats teh problem i have the ac in the same room as teh pc, and all of teh sockets in that room connect to one breaker, basically the entire electric system is poorly made, since only 4 outlets are connected to some other breaker, and rest is connected to teh same breaker, the kitchen , and bathroom , and 2 sockets in another room have their own breakers, lol 20Amp ones at that :( , and my room where i have the ac, and pc has a 15amp breaker(just checked all today), and i dont want to get a higher rated circuit breaker since i am not too certain that all the wirings are 12gauge, soem might be 14 gauge, and tehn i might have a fire hazard ...which i dont even want to think about. thats why i am asking so many questions, and its not just a regular "upgrade" for me, on top of that i am using a 900W rated UPS(cyberpower 1500avr) so if my calculations are right i can get the 700W psu and still have enough (200W) of power for my monitor to connect it to the UPS, and a wireless laser mouse, i think i calculated teh LCD's power draw at 144 W ...its a 17.1 inch screan it uses a brick whichrequirements are :12v dc at 5.0A , and the brick imput is 1.2 A with 120-240V, so i guess 1.2A*120v = 144W, am I correct?

Thank You
a b } Memory
August 7, 2007 6:04:38 PM

The UPS should be fine. (1) your PSU may be rated 700 W, but your REAL power will be closer to only about 250 Watts for internet use and only 350 to 400 Watts when gamming. (2) again when using "brick" ratings they are normally higher than real life, Your monitor is prabably between 100 and 120 W max.
August 7, 2007 7:00:03 PM

^ thank You , i actualyl can loko at teh "usage" of teh UPS and so far while being online it shows an output of 0.162 kW , and i have a monitor , the pc, and a wireless mouse connected to it and its hows 19% load of teh UPS, does that mean the 0.162KW is equal to 162 W? that seems a bit too low whiule idle for all this equipment conneted to it althou that 20% of 900 is that 171.
a b } Memory
August 7, 2007 7:41:55 PM

Quote:

Another ignoramus nerd boy. If you had read the original posters post, you would see that no one was talking about a 7900GS. We were talking about a X1950XT with 256mb or 512mb. The same card, with different memory buffers. So all the jibberish you just wrote about pixel shader, and pixel pipelines makes no sense and has nothing to do with the original posters question whatsoever.
Yes the 512mb version will perform better. Period.

The internals of a video card have nothing to do with which one is faster? Your not a bytch, your an idiot. What if he's playing at a low resolution, say 1280x1024. With the details turned up and AA/AF turned off, the difference in speed between a 256MB card and a 512MB card would be nothing, as you wouldn't be using more then 256MBs of video memory. In this case spending the extra money on a 512MB card would be a waste as 256MBs of it would be sitting idle. Its also possible that the 512MB card could be slower if it uses slower memory. If the core speeds are the same and the 256MB card uses 1.8GHz ram while the 512MB card uses 1.6GHz ram, the 256MB model would be faster.

I did read the original question, I was referring to your statement of
Quote:
I would think that common sense would tell you the more memory the better

As I tried to inform you, more memory is only better if you can use it. (same thinking goes with ram. Don't bother with 4GBs unless you have an OS that can use all of it.)
a b } Memory
August 7, 2007 7:45:22 PM

Do you have to use thermaltake? They just seem so lowend. How much can you spend on the PSU?
August 7, 2007 8:03:32 PM

i was thinking of geting a psu from thermaltake since i have a thermaltake case, and i wouldnt have issues with actually plcing the psu in the case(as i had sometimes an issue with other psu's i tried long time ago, even the mesurements were supposed to match), and i have to say thay i used their products for a long tim, their psu's, case, enclosures, fans and so far i never had a single problem with any of their products, and i know they use rather good quality components, so i guess those are the main reazons for that., i was aiming for $150 ish since i want to use it for my next upgrades, not only for the present one, thats why i was thinking about gettign the 700W one(the thermaltake toughtpower) its a bit more ($180) but i think its worth it for something that i will not replace for a long time(i have my current one for about 4 years...closer to 5), so i guess ill stick to that one, althou i was thinking of gettign the 650W one since its $155, and they both have a up to a 85% efficiency rating, althou the 700W one has a lot of safety, and other certificates, her is teh link to it:
August 7, 2007 9:00:31 PM

4745454b said:
Do you have to use thermaltake? They just seem so lowend. How much can you spend on the PSU?

Are you joking? Thermaltake makes excellent PSU's.
August 8, 2007 12:27:51 AM

I'd say go with the GEcube, I've bought four of their cards so far, starting with a radeon 9250 PCI, and I've been more than happy, I've owned a sapphire, and it performs as well as the Gecube, but for 30 dollars..... your going to want the gecube.

they are an excellent company, I've had nothing but good luck from their cards a friend of mine has one of my old ones and it still works after 4 or so years.

so get the Gecube, you won't be sorry.
August 8, 2007 12:55:43 AM

^ thx :)  i thought so 2 ;) ...so i will probably get that one, since that $30 more might get me couple more games in teh long run :) 
August 9, 2007 1:19:54 AM

^ update, i managed to get about $200 more, so i guess ill invest it into teh same psu, but ill get the hd2900xt, instead of the x1900xt :) , hopefully its worth it;)
September 9, 2007 4:27:23 AM

BTW that Gecube card runs at 628/702 instead of 628/900.
September 9, 2007 6:17:18 PM

I would suggest a 8800gts because it runs quieter and cooler then a hd 2900xt, but they are both good cards.
September 9, 2007 6:20:38 PM

cristip60 said:
I would suggest a 8800gts because it runs quieter and cooler then a hd 2900xt, but they are both good cards.

Are you reading topics?
September 9, 2007 6:23:59 PM

lol I bought already the 2900xt I guess a day after my last post, the sapphire model, and I have to say that this card is really completely not audiable at all, even when it sppeds up its fan more, in idle its 55 degree celcius(about 10 degrees more than my old x850xt), and its very very quiet compared to my old x850xt which really sounded like a haridrier in a case(not exagerating here), ...lol at tiems with the old card i just didnt want to play games because of the noiz, but now i can max out all games, and not listen to any noiz at all, and I guess i got lucky with it since I got the 3 copper heatpipes version of the cooler, which i hear is much better than the 2 heatpipe one(which heats up about 5 to 10 degrees more), so so far im happy with it :) ....it should hopefully last me till 2010 :) , btw thx to all that helped me with the decision.
!