Sign in with
Your question

Print server with USB Hard Drive sharing

Last response: in Storage
September 28, 2007 4:13:30 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a wired (preferred) or wireless print server that will also allow me to connect one or more hard drives to it (USB or any other common connection) so that it will function as a printer server and a NAS.

OR maybe I should be asking this...
Do you know of a NAS (preferably with no hard driver so it's cheaper) that allows print serving as well?

Any ideas would be great, thanks!
-GWolfman
September 28, 2007 5:41:13 PM

What type of imputs does your printer have?

I think I've seen servers that have 2 USB ports but don't know if one could be used for a HD and one for the printer. I'll look to see if I can find them again and get back...

What is the main reason for this? (totally for my own curiosity) Is it just you don't want to run two cables to the same area?

Ok, here is a product with enough ports: http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TE100-P21.htm

I don't know enough about networking to know if it would work or not, hopefully somebody else will be able to help you
September 28, 2007 8:53:14 PM

I'm looking for the same thing... This was one of the cheapest ones:

SimpleShare 500 GB Network Attached Storage with iShare Remote Access

Or just do a search in amazon (electronics) for "NAS +print" without the ""s

Related resources
September 29, 2007 4:42:24 AM

bc4 said:
What is the main reason for this? (totally for my own curiosity) Is it just you don't want to run two cables to the same area?

Well, I currently don't have a NAS, and I don't have a print server. Both (printer and HDD) are connected to a computer and it must be on (obviously) in order for me to access the printer and the files. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I've seen one or two, but they're expensive and I'd probably spend less buying the two separate.
September 29, 2007 5:03:26 AM

maxxum said:
I'm looking for the same thing... This was one of the cheapest ones:

SimpleShare 500 GB Network Attached Storage with iShare Remote Access

Or just do a search in amazon (electronics) for "NAS +print" without the ""s

Thanks, I'll see if I can find some reviews on it.
!