Advantage of running 1:1 (cpu & ram)

howiejeon

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I've read different opinions on this. Some say synchronous (1:1) for optimal performance. Others use Dividers? 4:3 or whatever and say that's best.

Since I have DDR2-1066 ram, which I've learned from the forums that no processor's FSB can run 1:1 with, should I try running the memory slower to match the CPU? Or should I just run them separately or with a divider?

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I have looked at this using several different configurations. In one case, running at 1:1 vs. the full speed of the memory resulted in a much faster hard disk access (not sure why but suspect something to do with virtual memory). However, the memory speed did not impact cpu or graphics performance until the memory frequency was below the FSB. In another case (differenct mb and processor), the cpu and hard disk responded better running at the full speed of the memory (in this case DDR2 at 800MHz).

A long winded way of recommending you run benchmark tests on your system with different settings to see which works best for your configuration.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
CPU's generally overclock better if its 1:1 and the performance is also better.

If you run it slower at 1:1 its likely you can lower the latencies by quite a fair bit, therefor gaining that performance back.

TRENDING THREADS