PC wont recognize HD

chris1784

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
When i first boot my pc for the day the computer doesn't recognize the HDD, so it goes directly to my DVD player. After a while, once the HD appears in bios then i can restart and go on to my OS. It only take 1 or 2 minutes to show up. Anyone know why this could be happening? The HD is connected via SATA the DVD IDE. thanks

Nerd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
you might check you boot device priority in your BIOS if you haven't already. would be helpful if you listed specifics of the HDD and motherboard

azimuth40

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
On some brands of drives if the disk does not spin up in a specified amount of time then drive ready does not come true and you wont recognize the drive. Pressing the reset button if you have one will solve the problem. In other cases the system checks too fast before the drive spins up. Normally this is only a problem with aging drives. Yo can generally fix it by turning of quick bood in the cmos setup.

chris1784

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
the priority is set to the HDD first, It might just be as azimuth stated. The computer boots up too fast where restarting fixes the problem. But I thought it might have something to do with the SATA settings in BIOS, does anyone know what AHCI Sata and Port 0-3 Sata are for? they're currently disabled.

Nerd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
the ahci sata option allows your sata drives to support extra features like hot plug. (shouldn't change this after windows installation) Ports 0-3 are the way your BIOS recognizes your 4 SATA drives(0, 1, 2, 3)