new prescott sends northbridge to 100 degrees celsius!!!!

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
hi all, I am a first timer here, but I just wanted to seek advice, I got a prescott chip from the US (they sent the wrong one), I asked for a northwood 3.4 ghz - compatible with my GA 8S648 FX mobo, and got a prescott, which is incompatible. I didn't know until I ran CPU Z, which then identified the chip as such. Now I have my GPU locking up during FEAR and after running speedfan saw that my northbridge is running at 102-103 celsius!!! I am waiting for a replacement board (Asus P4P800 SE) at this moment to change over but am I right in thinking it's the prescott burning my nb?

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
also, sorry to ask but when I get the new mobo, should I just start up with grahics card and my os drive? and if so, can I then add the additional cards and expect them to run or should I disable all drivers and reinstall one by one? thanks for any help

Alright. first of even a prescott will not get to 100c unless you have the heatsink fins fully blocked with dust. then it can do it...in that case there is not enough air flow to heat the north bridge.

Speedfan is not reading something right.

I did not know there ever was a prescott for that socket i thought it was all LGA775 ohhh well, learn something new everyday

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...erboard&ProductID=1645&ProductName=GA-8S648FX

they state that a bios update will run prescott

So give that a try....also note prescott is power hungry so make sure your psu is good enough and has the extra power connector plugged in to the right of the north bridge.

I do know for a fact that sis chipsets do run worse when hot(and can crash the system) unlike via and Intel ones that just keep going....so try running the case open. and last try may be to screw a 40mm fan to the chipset heatsink. this can work wonders.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
First of all, could you please share your sSpec Number.

I too ordered one of these but from Geeks.com and got a SL7PP, which was "advertised" as a Northwood. The Intel website lists this processor as a 90 nm product, E0, with a CPUID String of 103W and a Thermal Design Power of 73.2 C. The beast ran exceedly hot, frying itself and taking my Intel D865PERLL motherboard with it - even when mounted with either a Pentium D or a Zalman CNPS7000B, P4 HSF, both of which are rated up to the 3.4 Ghz chips (AS5 used on both). Geeks honored the warranty, and due to my diligence, finally sent another 3.4 Ghz 478 pin chip, this time a SL8K4, 90 nm, G1, with a CPUID String of 89W and a Thermal Design Power of 69.1 C.

One thing for sure, make sure you mate the processor with a large highly rated after market HSF and use a properly applied premium thermal paste, because if you don't, you may very well take out your MB as well! Ebay has a spate of the 3.4 Ghz processors for sale and the price has really dropped. It would be interesting to find out where these "new" OEM 3.4s are coming from.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

lol...I've never seen a VIA chipset get hot. I have a SiS chipset in my Ebot; that lil bastard is an inferno.

If its the motherboard im thinking it supports it no worries, and may i ask what cpu are you coming from? if its a FSB400 chip and your going to a prescot (FSB800) then theres twice the stress on the north bridge so it will get hotter, but not that hot (mind you also the exhaust air will blow off the cpu and heat the north bridge too).

Feel it with your bare hand - see how hot it actually is, expect it to be hot etc.

The SiS 648 chipset at 800mhz is a little warm.

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for the replies, let me go one at a time, sometimes speedfan has a problem loading, I get an error message "IT8712F support was improved" and then another read message repeatedly, which I have to shut down with task manager. But it shows my
temp 1 37 c
temp 2 102-103c
temp 3 35c
also
vcore 1.38
vcore2 1.94
+3.3 @ 3.26
+5 @ 5.03
+12 @ 11.71
I have a ritmo 500w psu with 20a on the 12v rail
and the hsf is a spire quietude VI with 80 x 80 fan
I came from a p4 2.4 ghz northwood and according to Gigabyte web I wanted the 3.4 gig northwood as the prescott was n/a "not supported", I have the latest bios and unfortunately can't tell you the s spec as it is in there humming away. As far as I know the northwood has 512kb L2 cache, which is what I ordered from fastmemoryman and they sent me the 1mb L2 cache prescott. Since it arrived and installed the comp is okay but I can no longer play FEAR for any longer than 5 mins and as I said, speedfan records my nb at 100+ temps. Any ideas?

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
sorry apache_lives, I did come from a FSB800 cpu and the northbridge is reasonably hot to the touch, also there is no fan on the nb, I wanted to install one and got one for $5 but some idiot made the mobo without the connector for it!!

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
If the northbridge really was at 100C, the heatsink should burn your hand the moment to touch it. Have you removed the heatsink to check it for good contact with the northbridge chip?

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
actually it's not that hot to the touch, so maybe it's speedfan having a s..t also thanks nukemaster, there was a new beta version of bios, out last week that I missed, I have upgraded now, and lo and behold, FEAR seems to be running okay...no locking up. Final question, with the new mobo should I install one at a time the cards and try to baby it through???thanks heaps for the advice

With the new board you should reinstall windows. This may mean calling MS for activation but you can just say your old board was destroyed in a power surge and it had been discontinued.

The reason I say to reinstall is just to make sure you dont have not old drivers and software clogging things up. Also in many cases windows does not like a transfer from one board to another....It can be done but i find it to be too much of a patch job.

As for cards. install with everything in. I personally disconnect other drives to avoid miss identification as i have several identical drives in my system. Also i disconnect my card reader as it can cause windows to label your drives with odd letters. my d: became f: once in such a way that even disk management could not fix it. Everything else should be ok.

Also give that sucker some testings to make sure its stable. but with a new board on the way it may not matter.

lol...I've never seen a VIA chipset get hot. I have a SiS chipset in my Ebot; that lil bastard is an inferno.
With bad airflow and palomino core Athlon XP chips with the fins blowing air over the chipset it sure got hot....just by the heat of the cpu. SIS chips tend to get slower(and even crash) when that happens. Where as most others tend not too. but the only HOT sis i have seen(not mine as the tbred's where not as hot) was that north and south bridge in one on the K7S5A(sis 735) so it may have only been that one

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
thanks again for the help and advice, I have the new board now and am just waiting for my spire silver fin2 to arrive, then I will have a nice cool case cpu fan, sys fan and chassis fan over the nb. Cheers all and I will let you know how it goes.

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
install went according to plan, as you said nukemaster...windows didn't like the mobo change so I repaired and retweaked all my settings and good to go...thanks

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Send it back, I just looked him up on E-bay and he gives you a 1yr warranty or just give him a very bad rating and he is likely to get back to you to see how he can fix it. The one he has listed is a Northwood and if you got a Prescott send it back. Contact:fastmemoryman@hotbuzz.net

braddles69

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
yeah, I thought about sending it back but my mobo was crap and I upgraded to the asus p4p800 se and it is running good, so I just gave him a **** rating...and will never buy there again.