SacreD

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Hy,I'm new here and I want to buy a new IDE 80GB HDD.I want a new one because I need more space provided by may old hdd a 40 GB Maxtor and I don't know what to chose.I want a hard that has 7200rpm and a 8Mb buffer,but I don't know which is the best for stability and some performance,I chose a Seagate Baracuda 80gb and a Western Digital 80gb WD800JB.I don't know how Samsung and Hitachi are so I ask about your opinion.

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Personally I prefer Seagate and western digital, especially when it comes to older IDE models. Just stay away from Maxtor and you should be good.

This chart might help you choose.

SacreD

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Well I asked others about their opinion about Seagate and WD and some had complains about the noise of Seagate others about the temperature of WD and they said that Samsung has good hdd.I'm interested about Hitachi hard driver but I don't know people that have one and their opinion about the hard drive.

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
I've got an 80GB barracuda and a 120GB WD my self, both IDE, and I can't hear a thing. Also the heat don't seem to be a problem, my comp runs nice and cool. These drives has been with me for about 3 or 4 years now and they still run perfectly fine. (maybe I should mention that I do have a 80mm fan blowing directly on em')

Since your comp. doesn't exactly strike me as an enthusiast PC I believe you would be satisfied with any HDD of a decent quality, and I believe the leading branch's (Seagate, WD, Hitachi, Samsung, IBM) would all live up to your satisfaction, the only thing I would be looking for within these 5 branch's would be speed, of course I would want the fastest drive for the money.

I'm not sure I can say much more to lead you in the right direction, I'm not exactly an expert on HDD's, I was just waiting for an answer to my own question and figured I might as well give a fellow poster my 2 cents on his problem.

SacreD

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Well I would like a pc with good performance 2,but I'm not so enthusiast about this case,I'm a person how likes basic performance and reliabillity.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you're computer has SATA connection, your best bet for performance would be Seagate with perpendicular technology but I think the smallest one is 160GB but given the price difference this should be a deal breaker, about $10. While it might speed things up a little bit, the hdd isn't going to give make significant difference like increasing RAM would

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
I'd say, decide on a price range. Then use the chart I linked to in my first post, as benchmark, chose windows XP startup performance, go down the list until you find a drive within you price range and go with that one.

If you can't find any within your price range look for 80GB drives in the same series as the benchmarked one, for example like the 160GB Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K160 ATA/133, if that one is to expensive, go for the 120 or 80GB from the same series. (Hope I explained that good enough, English isn't my native language so sometimes I stumble a bit.) ;)

I had a couple of WD 120 GB IDE in my old PC. I liked them - quiet, never got a bad sector. No clue about their temperature, I never cared TBH.
BTW, Google did some research on their zillion hard disks and discovered that the ones allowed to get hotter actually lasted longer. Go figure :)

SacreD

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
The best hard drives with best performance have sata interface,I scrolled down and found that Hitachi are rated best but they have more than 80GB which is more than my buget can buy.I'll search to see which one is best for me,thanks all for the replys.