Cingular roaming to Sprint?

seth

I'm considering dumping Verizon to go to Cingular, but had some
concerns about the coverage. I stopped by a store today and asked
about Cingular coverage in my area (Hershey, PA), and was surprised
when the sales person told me that I was covered for the full country,
because I would automatically roam to Sprint's network for free. I'm
somewhat sceptical of this, since I haven't seen it documented
anywhere, and the Cingular maps show huge dead areas out west. So
what's the story?
Also, anyone have experience with Cingular coverage in Hershey, PA? I
travel between DC and Hershey a lot, so if the phone isn't going to
work, Cingular is out.

Thanks.

Seth

> I'm considering dumping Verizon to go to Cingular, but had some
> concerns about the coverage. I stopped by a store today and asked
> about Cingular coverage in my area (Hershey, PA), and was surprised
> when the sales person told me that I was covered for the full country,
> because I would automatically roam to Sprint's network for free. I'm
> somewhat sceptical of this, since I haven't seen it documented
> anywhere, and the Cingular maps show huge dead areas out west. So
> what's the story?
Sprint is not compatable with Cingular phones so this is not true.
If the Cingular phone you get has AMPS and the right plan you can roam on
some other carriers but not sprint.
If it is offered the GAIT phone Sony Ericsson T62u with a National Plan with
the GAIT feature will have the best coverage. The map you were looking at
may have been the GSM only coverage.

Cingular maps show huge dead areas out west. So
> > what's the story?
The best bet is to get a phone and try it and return it before the trial
period is up if your not happy.
No cell phone covers everywhere, most of the dead aeras out west have very
few people and even fewer cell phones. Some areas like National parks have
no cell towers and little coverage like the Smokey Mountains National Park.

But I'll bet you can hit a Ham repeater in the smokey Mountains.

Chip

Stanley Reynolds wrote:
> Cingular maps show huge dead areas out west. So
>
>>>what's the story?
>
> The best bet is to get a phone and try it and return it before the trial
> period is up if your not happy.
> No cell phone covers everywhere, most of the dead aeras out west have very
> few people and even fewer cell phones. Some areas like National parks have
> no cell towers and little coverage like the Smokey Mountains National Park.

> But I'll bet you can hit a Ham repeater in the smokey Mountains.

Yes, but not in the valleys. I didn't take any phones/radios on the hike but
there maybe amps coverage from Klingman's Dome, it is the highest peak in
the Great Smokey Mountans National Park. But the problem maybe hitting too
many repeaters, that was a problem operating from a private plane. I'am not
sure what the park rangers use other than hill tops. Guess it you were in a
clearing a sat phone would work. I know some RV's have two way sat link that
tracks while on the move if you don't mind the delay guess voip could be
used for a phone link. In a way it's nice that cell phones don't work
everwhere, I'll be the first to complain if cell towers go up in the
national parks. There are other threads about cell phones in churches and
movie houses.

For most places I prefer Cingular GAIT to Sprint PCS for coverage . If I was
out west then Verizon tri-mode might be better.

Seth wrote:
> I'm considering dumping Verizon to go to Cingular, but had some
> concerns about the coverage. I stopped by a store today and asked
> about Cingular coverage in my area (Hershey, PA), and was surprised
> when the sales person told me that I was covered for the full country,
> because I would automatically roam to Sprint's network for free.

HAH! What a moron.

Cingular is using GSM technology. Sprint is CDMA. The networks are
incompatible, and you cannot roam from a Cingular phone to Sprint.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.