stock heatsink thermal padding

polan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
hi,

I was building a new pc with my e6850 where i am currently using the stock heatsink. I had troubles with where i put the cables since I was foolish enough to put the heatsink with the cables coming out facing a bad direction. I took the heatsink out and now some of the thermal padding (like 1/3 of it) is stuck on the CPU and I want to turn my heatsink around and it will make the parts with thermal padding be uneve won't it? Or does Thermal padding really spread all over the CPU because I don't want it to have a lot of gaps due to my stupid mistake where some areas will get double the amount while the other area wont have any thermal padding even after it heats up and melts and somewhat spreads.

can anyone clear me up on this? thanks

tdank

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Get yourself a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and order a tube of Artic Silver thermal paste from newegg. Clean both the heat sink and the processor with the alcohol, make sure all the old paste is removed. Apply a dab of the new compound(About the size of a grain of rice to the back of the processor and reseat the heatsink. Should be better than new.