Building a comp for SERIOUS 3D work, need help

ex_deus

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hi all, I've got a friend who's company has just told him to get a rig for "physics based structural analysis for petroleum refineries", this is not just another gaming/casual 3D work job.

I've looked around a lot, and am having trouble finding a definitive guide to building this type of computer. I know the hardware needs to VERY different in certain areas (versus gaming rigs), especially the Vid Card (and i've heard these don't even make a difference in render time, only real time view?). Also, multiple cores is ABSOLUTELY necessary, as many as can while still being efficient and price-worthy.

Budget is $3000, not a lot, unfortunately.

Even just a point in the right direction, toward a good website, etc, would be greatly appreciated, and better yet a bit of discussion on this forum- thank you thank you!

FPS_Wes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
The New Quad core is a definate possibility.

Possibly an Nvidia Quadro gpu (or 8800 which is what I'm going to be getting, but that's more gaming than 3D apps, which I also use)

Or, if you have the know how, you might want to try and do a cluster build centered around a few quad core systems. Cause from my knowledge physics based analysis's are more mathematical than geometrical. So...It's a tough one...

ex_deus

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
from what i've learned, not to dis anyone's opinions, but it seems the 8800/other gaming vid cards are almost useless when compared to dedicated 3D engineering cards, and vice versa. I have heard the Quadro cards are very nice for this... thanks for the reply, i'll check out that cluster building, but that may be above my knowledge...