This is DUMB, but which drivers for GA-M57SLI-S4?

chihlidog

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I just put this rig together yesterday, and I want to update the drivers for my motherboard, and Im not sure how to go about this. Is the version for XP on their website the best, anyone know? Thanks!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The best way to update the on board drivers is to go to the mfg website and download them making sure you download the ones for your OS, in your case the XP drivers.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I would assume that getting the drivers from nvidia would be the best, they make the chipset and that's where the motherboard manufacturers get them from in the first place. nvidia's site would be the 1st to be updated with new drivers.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I think you're better off with the mfg drivers with the exception of a nVidia video card driver. All of the onboard drivers are not nVidia, e.g., the onboard sound. Second, some board mfg will modify drivers. Third, some nVidia drivers are either difficult to find or not available, e.g., I have 2 boards with 6150 on board video and at least one time ASUS had a newer driver than nVidia. My experience is that you have to be very careful updating drivers because a bad driver or driver conflict will cause all kinds of problems This is why it is never a good idea to download drivers from Microsoft when doing Windows updates. If MS says there is a new driver, you're better off getting it from the mfg. Not taking my own advise recently, ran into a problem downloading a driver from MS and had to restore the old one. :??: