Sign in with
Your question

Email Failure Notification?

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2007 5:55:43 PM

I'm looking to build a system with two RAID 1 arrays. I'm thinking of getting a MB with the ICH8R chipset, which should be able to do this no problem, right? My question is if there's any way to get an email notification on a degraded array? I see taskbar notification in the Intel software, but no mention of email options. Since I won't be connecting to this system on any sort of regular basis, I won't see the taskbar. Can I trigger an email alert through the Intel or some other software? If not, is there an add-on card with software that supports email notifications? All I need is a PCIe interface and 4 SATA ports that I can configure in two separate RAID 1 arrays, (or two cards with two ports I guess). The system will be running XP Pro.
February 21, 2008 11:49:20 PM

KarylFStein
see posts @ /forum/244940-32-email-failure-notification-ich8r
sorry, don't have enough time @ th' mmnt to see how to repoint a post, but this may be of help.
Pls post if ya found something.
thx, jm.
April 2, 2009 5:14:02 AM

KarylFStein said:
I'm looking to build a system with two RAID 1 arrays. I'm thinking of getting a MB with the ICH8R chipset, which should be able to do this no problem, right? My question is if there's any way to get an email notification on a degraded array? I see taskbar notification in the Intel software, but no mention of email options. Since I won't be connecting to this system on any sort of regular basis, I won't see the taskbar. Can I trigger an email alert through the Intel or some other software? If not, is there an add-on card with software that supports email notifications? All I need is a PCIe interface and 4 SATA ports that I can configure in two separate RAID 1 arrays, (or two cards with two ports I guess). The system will be running XP Pro.

It's been a while since you have posted, but this may help other users that are looking for a solution. I use DiskCheckup, it's a free solution as long as you don't use it commercially. It seems to work pretty good so far and is easy to configure. DiskCheckup uses the SMART information from the hard drives to detect a failure. The only problem with it is if you don't have access to a SMTP server. Which isn't that big of a problem, because most ISPs provide a SMTP server. If anybody is interested, I have a short tutorial on how to configure DiskCheckup to give you a email notification if the a drive in the RAID array fails. Hope this is helpful to somebody.
!