Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Windows Vista
  • Western Digital
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 2, 2007 12:56:38 PM

Hello.
Two months ago i bought a P5k-deluxe Wi-fi. Yesterday i decided to add a HDD so that i could make a Raid 0.
So i went to the store and bought another WD Caviar 500 gig 16 meg cache 7200, came home and created the RAID 0. I did everything acording to the board manual, but it never worked!!!
I have my OS (Vista Ultimate 32) in a WD Raptor 160 gig, and i wanted the RAID 0 to use with my games, media files etc, whithout any OS in it.
So after i created the RAID 0, i rebooted the computer but when the Vista bar (booting from the Raptor) appers it simply gives me a blue screen that i cant read because its too fast and it reboots by it self!!!
I then came here and saw that many people had problems while creating a RAID 0 with WD disks, so i went to the store and bought my self two Maxtor barracuda 500 gig.
I came home confident that with this two disks the problem whould be solved, but no!!! It gives me the same error!
Can anyone please help me! I have tried changing the drives into all the SATA doors 1-6, but its allways the same thing.
I have also upgraded the BIOS to the last one, non BETA, but didnt solve the problem.
Can please anyone help me?

PS: I dont have any problem while running the disks in IDE mode in the BIOS (of course without RAID 0!).

More about : raid problem p5k deluxe

October 2, 2007 2:11:44 PM

You need the RAID drivers for your motherboard, that's why.

Try installing Intel's Matrix Storage Manager: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?Pro...
and it should install those drivers for you. So basically, boot the OS without the RAID connected, install the storage manger, shut down, connect the RAID, then reboot.

Try that and let me know how it goes.
-GWolfman
October 2, 2007 2:42:00 PM

Will try right now!!! Will report soon tks... fingers crossed :D 
Related resources
October 2, 2007 4:11:45 PM

I dont get it!! I downloaded what you said, Vista x32 version of it and when installing it gives me an error that says that my system doesnt cumply with the minimum requirements!!!!

My comp:

Asus p5k-Deluxe Wi-Fi
Cuore 2 Duo E6750
2x Maxtor 500 gig 16 mega cache
1 WD Raptor 150 gig
2x 1 gig mem Corsair

This doesnt have the minimum requirements?!!!!
Can anyone please help!!
October 24, 2007 6:28:03 AM

punk_boy

I'm having the exact same problems that you are. I've even re-installed XP. With F6. I still have nothing at all. Can someone please help us out! I'm going crazy!!!
October 25, 2007 5:28:46 AM

Figured it out! Can't have 1 for boot and Raid(non-boot) on the internal 6 sata's.
October 29, 2007 8:28:38 PM

I'm having a similar, yet different issue that may be related to this. I have 2x 300g hard drives in the first two SATA slots configured as Raid 1. I boot Vista off of this and it works perfectly. The problem comes in when I try and connect 2x 400g drives to the system ('m connecting them to the two "non-boot" SATA connectors. Just the act of connecting them causes the system to have some wierd pauses during use. When I configure those two drives as a Raid 0 and format the volume, the system will randomly blue screen. To be clear, it doesn't blue screen while formatting. The Blue Screens happen after the volume is formatted. Also, I could swear that I hear those two drives spinning up just prior to the blue screen. If I simply disconnect the drives, my system becomes stable again. This problem has been driving me nuts for quite some time. I even purchased a 1000 watt power supply because a friend suggested that I didn't have enough power to run 4 drives. The new power supply didn't change a single thing.
November 13, 2007 3:19:37 AM

Alright...

I received this today.

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900
Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W
ASUS P5K Premium WIFI-AP
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Zalman CNPS9700NT
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GT SSC 700 MHZ
Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2 800MHZ CL3-3-3-10
2 X Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS ( RAID )
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer
LG GSA-H62LN 18X/18X DVDRW BLK SATA
Pioneer DVR-212D Black DVD-RW 18X6X18
nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black

minus the video card that is B.O.

Connected everything and fired it up.
Went to the bios configure everything to make the 2 HD's RAID 0.

Same problem as most of you guys... Blue Screen saying : 0x0000007C.

Tryed everything...Raid drivers from here or there.. Nothing. Always the same thing.

found ou that my BIOS was 0204 revision and that the 0404 is available so I downloaded it..... 2 MO.... doesn't fit on a floppy.

I told myself : Alright I'll install Windows XP SP2 on 1 HD, update the BIOS and then retry from scratch to make it RAID.

Well... Blue Screen at 99 % of windows files copy. I was like :o 

i disconnected that HD and connected the other and retried......Guess What ? It's working.

So I have 1 HD that seems to be Defective. I'll finish the configuration of Windows and put the "Defective" HD to Stress tests. Will see.

The reason why I'm posting this here is that a defection HD must be taken into consideration. Installing windows XP is like 1h of your time. Do it on both HD separately and you'll proove yourself that both of your HD's are working. While you're there, Hit the HD's website, download their HD software and Test'em ! I know it's a bit time consuming But I wasted like 5 hours this afternoon trying to get rid of the problem , to find out that it was a defective HD !

As soon as my defective HD is back, I'll redo the whol;e thing again with the RAID setup. I'll post back to tell'yall if it's working or not.

later guys !

OH ! by the way, When you guys are looking for RAID drivers, DON,t just "EXPLORE" the Asus CD, put it in the drive, boot on it and you'll find drivers there that are pain in the ass to find just by exploring the disc.
April 7, 2009 8:01:18 PM

I was wondering if anyone has figured this problem out. I know this thread is old, but I am having this same exact problem as punk boy. I would like to get this figured out. I'm losing sleep over it. Haha.

Where Punk_Boy last left off is exactly the position I'm left in currently.
April 23, 2009 4:21:12 PM

TOreDEFINE said:
I was wondering if anyone has figured this problem out. I know this thread is old, but I am having this same exact problem as punk boy. I would like to get this figured out. I'm losing sleep over it. Haha.

Where Punk_Boy last left off is exactly the position I'm left in currently.

I don't know if you got this fixed, but what is exactly saying that you don't have the minimum system requirements? Do you have an OS installed already or are you trying to install an OS for your first time? Sorry for the late reply.
August 7, 2009 9:22:05 PM

h46it said:
Figured it out! Can't have 1 for boot and Raid(non-boot) on the internal 6 sata's.

I am having the same problem. I have a raid 1 0 set up and I want to drop in a new drive and put the OS there. I can not get the system to boot if I have anything beside the raid set plugged into the sata ports. I can not even plug my dvd drive into those ports. Is this common?
!