Make a laserdisc player a drive?

July 1, 2005 6:46:46 PM

Does anyone know how to make a laserdisc player so that, when connected to
an XP machine, it appears as a drive?

What cables do you need, device drivers, etc. Where do you get them?

Can you play your laserdiscs using this connection so the content of the
laserdisc appears on the computer monitor(e.g., Windows Media Player)?

Thanks
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:26:14 PM

What you would need is a Video Capture card.Just as if you wish to hook up
your home DVD player to your system.
There are quite a few video cards on the market that are capable of this.
here is a page that lists a few of them
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...

The Radeon All in wonder do this as well as certain Nvidea Cards
If you do a google on video capture you will come up with quite a few
websites that offer detailed instructions
good luck
peterk

the problem
"Robert M. Lincoln" <robert.nospam@americanriver.com> wrote in message
news:o q5thZofFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Does anyone know how to make a laserdisc player so that, when connected to
> an XP machine, it appears as a drive?
>
> What cables do you need, device drivers, etc. Where do you get them?
>
> Can you play your laserdiscs using this connection so the content of the
> laserdisc appears on the computer monitor(e.g., Windows Media Player)?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:26:15 PM

Actually, I want to be able to see the files on the laserdisc. I already
have a video capture card, and it works fine.

What I eventually want to do is compress the laserdisc files so I can store
them on a DVD (and get rid of the bulky laserdiscs). These particular
laserdiscs have very little motion on the video and should compress to a
very small size with virtually no loss in video quality.

So, is there some tool that allows me to see the files on the laserdisc so I
can copy them to my hard drive?

Thanks
July 2, 2005 2:51:06 AM

I dont believe such a thing exists...........laserdiscs were not popular
enough.
I would suggest trying to capture as you play....Windows Movie Maker might
work for that.
Safe the file and then use a DVD burning program like Nero to burn to a DVD
in a DVD format.
As I understand the laserdisc format was not a digital format it was an
analog format that was converted(?)
http://www.allformp3.com/x-video-converter/

> Actually, I want to be able to see the files on the laserdisc. I already
> have a video capture card, and it works fine.
>
> What I eventually want to do is compress the laserdisc files so I can
> store them on a DVD (and get rid of the bulky laserdiscs). These
> particular laserdiscs have very little motion on the video and should
> compress to a very small size with virtually no loss in video quality.
>
> So, is there some tool that allows me to see the files on the laserdisc so
> I can copy them to my hard drive?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:35:52 PM

Laserdiscs? Wow. Talk about a trip back to the 1980's! I don't even know
what kind of file those things would use. I would be astonished if there
were anything resembling a driver for that piece of hardware. Laserdiscs
were supposed to be the "killer" hardware device of the era, but the humble
VHS tape blew everything in the weeds. Thanks to the Adult Film Industry.
Without them, we would not have VHS tapes, recorders, or players.

"Robert M. Lincoln" <robert.nospam@americanriver.com> wrote in message
news:o q5thZofFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Does anyone know how to make a laserdisc player so that, when connected to
> an XP machine, it appears as a drive?
>
> What cables do you need, device drivers, etc. Where do you get them?
>
> Can you play your laserdiscs using this connection so the content of the
> laserdisc appears on the computer monitor(e.g., Windows Media Player)?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:28:01 AM

In message <uPPBD1qfFHA.352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Robert M. Lincoln
<robert.nospam@americanriver.com> wrote:

> Actually, I want to be able to see the files on the laserdisc. I already
> have a video capture card, and it works fine.
>
> What I eventually want to do is compress the laserdisc files so I can
> store
> them on a DVD (and get rid of the bulky laserdiscs).

Laserdisc is an analog video format, with analog or digital audio. They do
not contain files. The (digital) audio from CD Video can be read with a
CDROM drive.

There is an LDROM format which supports computer files in addition to analog
video, and some/many laserdisc players can be computer controlled.

For more info see:
http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/FAQ/FAQ_intro.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

In conclusion, for the video there is no better option than a video capture
card or equivalent. For the audio S/P-DIF could be used given suitable
output from the laserdisc player (or Dolby digital demodulator).

I don't know if the digital audio can be extracted using a LDROM adapter,
which at a wild guess would probally be a CDROM like SCSI device, which
would need no special drivers.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B 94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4