P5K and Intel P35 JMicro woes...

Hi, I recently purchased an ASUS P5K motherboard and could not, for the life of me, get it to read Windows XP cd's. I have heard of P35 motherboards having problems with the JMicron IDE/SATA controler, and people have said that you can't mix IDE and SATA drives on the board. This is a known problem with the P5K, and isn't really ASUS's fault. However, I was wondering if ALL P35 boards have this same major flaw; I am considering purchasing an ABIT IP35 Pro, and seeing as how all my disk drives are IDE and my hard drive is SATA, I would either need to get a SATA disk drive or avoid P35 boards.
4 answers Last reply
More about intel jmicro woes
  1. What you need is a SATA DVD drive. I have both my Raptor SATA 150GB and my Asus SATA DVD-R drives on the Southbridge and they work great. If you have an IDE HDD then just get a SATA DVD drive problem solved.
  2. No one likes to hear "Spend more money", but the simple answer is to use SATA DVD drives. I've some Lite-on 20X DVD-RW drives (with Lightscribe) that are selling for about $37 on Newegg. For this price, it seems like the simple solution.
  3. There are updated JMicron IDE drivers that work just fine.
    At least for Vista. Not sure about XP, but I don't see why not.
  4. enewmen said:
    There are updated JMicron IDE drivers that work just fine.
    At least for Vista. Not sure about XP, but I don't see why not.

I have never installed any drivers for the JMicron controller to date and it did work just fine. So if you can get away with not installing them then do so.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus SATA Motherboards