Sign in with
Your question

P5K and Intel P35 JMicro woes...

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2007 6:43:09 AM

Hi, I recently purchased an ASUS P5K motherboard and could not, for the life of me, get it to read Windows XP cd's. I have heard of P35 motherboards having problems with the JMicron IDE/SATA controler, and people have said that you can't mix IDE and SATA drives on the board. This is a known problem with the P5K, and isn't really ASUS's fault. However, I was wondering if ALL P35 boards have this same major flaw; I am considering purchasing an ABIT IP35 Pro, and seeing as how all my disk drives are IDE and my hard drive is SATA, I would either need to get a SATA disk drive or avoid P35 boards.
August 9, 2007 7:17:52 AM

What you need is a SATA DVD drive. I have both my Raptor SATA 150GB and my Asus SATA DVD-R drives on the Southbridge and they work great. If you have an IDE HDD then just get a SATA DVD drive problem solved.
August 11, 2007 8:42:43 PM

No one likes to hear "Spend more money", but the simple answer is to use SATA DVD drives. I've some Lite-on 20X DVD-RW drives (with Lightscribe) that are selling for about $37 on Newegg. For this price, it seems like the simple solution.
Related resources
August 11, 2007 9:01:54 PM

There are updated JMicron IDE drivers that work just fine.
At least for Vista. Not sure about XP, but I don't see why not.
August 11, 2007 10:21:48 PM

enewmen said:
There are updated JMicron IDE drivers that work just fine.
At least for Vista. Not sure about XP, but I don't see why not.

I have never installed any drivers for the JMicron controller to date and it did work just fine. So if you can get away with not installing them then do so.
!