Sign in with
Your question

Changing ACPI singleprocessor to ACPI multiprocessor?

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2007 1:24:47 AM

Alright well this is my story. I had windows XP x64 installed and upgraded from a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ to a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 and the ACPI didnt update. I read that if it doesnt update that a fresh install should fix the problem. I reinstalled XP x64 and its still showing ACPI singleprocessor under device manager. It there a way to manually change this?
July 31, 2007 1:52:31 AM

raidenfox123 said:
Alright well this is my story. I had windows XP x64 installed and upgraded from a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ to a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 and the ACPI didnt update. I read that if it doesnt update that a fresh install should fix the problem. I reinstalled XP x64 and its still showing ACPI singleprocessor under device manager. It there a way to manually change this?

Have you installed the MS Multi-core patch thing? Having a single-core processor, I can only help so much....
July 31, 2007 2:11:36 AM

Does your bios support dual core CPU's? If not, you may need to update your bios. Then you can try reinstalling your OS, or go into device manager and delete the ACPI single processor and have it redetect hardware changes.
Related resources
July 31, 2007 2:14:57 AM

Yes the bios is up to date. Also where is this ms multi-core patch?
July 31, 2007 8:21:10 PM

raidenfox123 said:
Also where is this ms multi-core patch?

Yea seriously....I'm having the exact same problem so maybe this might be the solution.
July 31, 2007 8:27:46 PM

According to Microsoft you cannot just "switch" from ACPI single or multi or vice versa due to different HALs when creating a basic system image.
July 31, 2007 8:55:50 PM

Have you just gone into device manager and changed the driver to the multi-processor one? I've done this many times on PCs for testing mulit-processor software issues.
July 31, 2007 9:00:01 PM

zenmaster said:
Have you just gone into device manager and changed the driver to the multi-processor one? I've done this many times on PCs for testing mulit-processor software issues.

bingo
do that.
i've done that a couple of times, works like a charm, if you know what you're doing
July 31, 2007 9:04:17 PM

zenmaster said:

This is what I was going to suggest.

-mcg
July 31, 2007 9:11:57 PM

For me, there is no multi processor option. The only two options are:

1) Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
2) Standard PC
August 2, 2007 10:26:24 PM

zenmaster said:

How Do I select it manually.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2007 11:28:22 PM

Does your task manager show one or two cores on the performance tab?

Also, don't forget to download and install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer when you get both cores recognized.
!