Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I recently put together my first system:

Q6600
4gb RAM
Gigabyte P35 DS3R mobo
Geforce 8800GTS 640mb
320GB WD Caviar

I have Vista 64 (OEM System builders) installed on my current hard drive. I have been toying with the idea of adding a 150gb Raptor to the system. From what I've read, I will benefit most by re-installing my OS and programs on the Raptor, and using the larger HD for my data. Are there any other changes I will have to make besides software changes?

Will I be able to reinstall Vista on a different HD as long as its the same motherboard?

Also, I've read a few threads about dedicated HD cooling when dealing with the 10k rpm HDs. I am using an Antec P180 case, with the standard 3 120mm fans. Should this set up be adequate?

Thanks in advance.

xsilvor

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I guess another good question would be: Am I really going to see a significant improvement in the performance of my system?

I use it mostly for games, video, and music. Occasionally I use Photoshop and do CAD work... but yeah, mostly games :)

joex444

Distinguished
When I moved from single hard drives to RAID setups (I've run RAID0, RAID10 and RAID5 configs), you don't really notice that the HDs are faster until you move back to a single HD setup. Then you start saying, that's slow because you have one HD.

The Raptor being 10K RPM has the advantage of low file access times, helping apps load. You should be able to notice it, how much you care is up to you.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Q. From what I've read, I will benefit most by re-installing my OS and programs on the Raptor, and using the larger HD for my data.
A. You should definitely put your OS on the Raptor to get maximum benefit from it.

Q. Are there any other changes I will have to make besides software changes?
A. No, it's just like any other hard disk, just faster.

Q. Will I be able to reinstall Vista on a different HD as long as its the same motherboard?
A. Yes, as long as you have the installation CD :)

Q. Also, I've read a few threads about dedicated HD cooling when dealing with the 10k rpm HDs. I am using an Antec P180 case, with the standard 3 120mm fans. Should this set up be adequate?
A. Yes, that will be easily fine. Even 15K hard disks don't put out much heat compared to CPUs or graphics cards.

Good luck!

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Dammit, you squeezed in another question as I was writing that answer :non:

Q. I guess another good question would be: Am I really going to see a significant improvement in the performance of my system?
A. Yes, it will be faster and you will notice it - when you start Windows, when you load up the game and when you change levels