Any stores sell reasonably priced Socket A (462) motherboards?

pavel-

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
Preferably in Canada, but if the price is reasonable I dont mind shipping to relatives in the states then getting it from them.

Story: my old socket a asus mobo has a corrupted bios rom chip, so either i replace that or get a new motherboard, i figured looking for that chip separately might be more painful.

pavel-

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
amd athlon xp-m 2500+.
really looking for a high end board of that era as this is my overclocking-toy machine.

p.s. problem ive found with ebay is i may have to pay more for a used mobo of that generation than i did for a new one!

My next suggestion then is to get a CPU/MoBo combo from eBay. Right now the s939 CPU's and motherboards are going for dirt cheap because everyone is upgrading to AM2 or Intel C2D. I recently got an nForce 3 Ultra motherboard and s939 Athlon 64 3500+ for $65 from eBay. You probably have DDR RAM which you can use on a 939 board, but do you have AGP or PCIe? What's your budget?

For example, here's an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe for $35 and add to that a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz CPU for $20 and you can reuse your RAM and video card (if it's PCIe). That would be a decent replacement for your 2500+, and you could OC it if you wish.