8800GTS Upgrade? Help

youngmobs

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Im new to the desktop building world, and have only minimal knowledge, but I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard, and was looking to upgrade the video card I had to a newer one, a EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card, will this motherboard and video card work together or should I look to upgrade my motherboard too? Thanks

leroy_101

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
i dont know much about the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe but i see its a 939 socket and its a pritty old processor these days. The cpu will be a big bottle neck if you planing to play any games at all. Also if you want to upgarde your motherboard i would suggest you wait for the intel to release there new chipset(X38). Its not to long to go.....

barlag

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006

Yes in fact you can find relatively good and cheap X2 CPUs also on 939. In either case, even an athlon 64 3500+ or higher will do a good job. So dont listen to the hype upgrade the GFX card, and upgrade the Mobo when quad cores are commonplace.

I had to upgrade everything because I had a AGP 939 mobo but it was very expensive because had to replace the ram and everything and the performance isnt THAT much better. The gfx card is the much more important component and make sure you have lots of dual ram in dual channel keep your 939 and enjoy the fact that you didnt spend all that $ now, and you will be able to buy a new mobo when its worth while.

Cheers,
Gabor