Bios settings help

mb1980y

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Hi

Ive had a new pc built and now iam thinking of trying to give it a tiny overclock, nothing to huge but at least something, some of the parts ive got are -

Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
OCZ GameXStream 700W Multi-GPU Active PFC (OCZ700GXSSLI)
ASUS formula blitz
OCZ 2048MB DDR2 PC8800 Gold Edition (OCZ2G11002GK)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Skt 775 Retail Boxed B3
Asus GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

Can anyone help on what basic bios settings I should have setup, ive tried to looking for infomation but iam finding it hard to understand it all or should I be saying to affraid to attempt it.

can anyone suggest settings or point me somewhere else ?

thanks

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
The easiest way to start is by keeping all your settings the same and increasing the FSB (front side bus). Different bios have different values so you will have to look at your settings to see what makes sense. Graysky has written a very nice guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide which you should review. Since you are new I suggest you stick with just the FSB setting for now. After increasing the FSB, you will want to check both stability and temperature. Temperature should not be an issue if you are not increasing the voltage to the processor (Vcore) but you should keep an eye on this. The guide has good recommendations on software for checking stabilty. One note, I always baseline the stability and temperature before making any changes.

Hope this helps

Edit: I was somewhat hasty in stating not to change any bios settings other than FSB. There are a few items in bios which you should enable or disable before increasing the FSB. The following is from Graysky's guide;

C1E - disable initially, enable later on and see if the system remains stable. This is a power savings option.

Max CPUID value limit – disable unless you’re running an older O/S like Windows NT.

Vanderpool – disable unless you’re running VMWare; this option allows you to run multiple O/S’s on the same machine by creating virtual machines.

CPU TM function – enable. Option affects CPU protection/throttle management to help you when you don’t realize you’re pushing your chip too hard.

Execute Disable Bit - enable. XP has a setting to help with virus protection and requires this set to enable.

PECI – disable or enable. This affects how your DTS (Digital Thermal Sensors) report the core temps of your CPU. I have mine enabled and have read several posts now that suggest having it enabled does indeed give more accurate core temps. I can’t say if you want it on or off in your system.

SpeedStep - disable initially, enable later on and see if the system remains stable. This is a power savings option.

Depending on your bios some of these settings may or may not appear and some may only appear by using the advanced settings in you bios.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
up ur ddr2 v a bit up ur cpu v a bit by about .1 or .2 then change ur bus speed slowly like by 3 or 5. If it runs stable then ur cool if not try uping ur v on ur cpu a bit then try it again. Make sure at all times ur checking ur cpu and mb temps...even gpu temps during stability tests.