Computer BSOD's when installing video card drivers.

Problem description:
This morning I awoke to find my computer crashed. I restarted only to have it boot normally until the Windows logo, as soon as it passed the logo it restarted and continued this over and over until I turned the computer off again. I booted in safe mode which worked perfectly, backedup my data, and formatted. I got my computer from ABS and I was using a special backup disk that was supposed to install all the drivers and such. During windows installation it asked me where nv4_mini.sys was. I couldn't find it and hit cancel and it continued with installation.

Everything seemed to be working fine but when I first logged into to my fresh install it said "found VGA adapter" then "found 6800 series card" and then asked me to install the drivers, I installed the latest one and halfway through it asked me yet again where "nv4_mini.sys" was, canceling it yet again canceled the whole install, while directing it to it caused it to continue, then ask me for a .exe which was also nvidia related, directed it to that and my system crashed to a BSOD with yellow bars running down the screen distorting the BSOD. I tried multiple drivers, old ones, Omega, the latest and all cause my computer to crash exactly like this. I did a full harddrive error scan which found nothing wrong with it, I took everything out of my computer and reseated it after spraying it with compressed air, I'm at a loss here now.

Attempted fixes:
Multiple formats
Multiple driver options
Reseating everything
Cleaning everything with compressed air

Recent changes: I didn't install anything new or change anything the night before.

--

Operating system: Windows XP Pro

System specs: ABS computer
AMD 64 3500+ 939
2 gigs, (4x512mb) Corsair XL-3200 ram
Nvidia 6800 GT
2 answers Last reply
More about computer bsod installing video card drivers
  1. Is it safe to assume that you do not have another card to try? because the yellow bars thing sounds like a dying card symptom. :(
  2. Mousemonkey said:
    Is it safe to assume that you do not have another card to try? because the yellow bars thing sounds like a dying card symptom. :(

sounds about right
    i builded a rig last week and the video card was .almost dead
    same problem when i installed windows..asked me where the hay is "nv4_mini.sys"..
    changed the card and everything ran smooth
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Drivers Graphics Cards Computer Graphics