Computer BSOD's when installing video card drivers.

arteryman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Problem description:
This morning I awoke to find my computer crashed. I restarted only to have it boot normally until the Windows logo, as soon as it passed the logo it restarted and continued this over and over until I turned the computer off again. I booted in safe mode which worked perfectly, backedup my data, and formatted. I got my computer from ABS and I was using a special backup disk that was supposed to install all the drivers and such. During windows installation it asked me where nv4_mini.sys was. I couldn't find it and hit cancel and it continued with installation.

Everything seemed to be working fine but when I first logged into to my fresh install it said "found VGA adapter" then "found 6800 series card" and then asked me to install the drivers, I installed the latest one and halfway through it asked me yet again where "nv4_mini.sys" was, canceling it yet again canceled the whole install, while directing it to it caused it to continue, then ask me for a .exe which was also nvidia related, directed it to that and my system crashed to a BSOD with yellow bars running down the screen distorting the BSOD. I tried multiple drivers, old ones, Omega, the latest and all cause my computer to crash exactly like this. I did a full harddrive error scan which found nothing wrong with it, I took everything out of my computer and reseated it after spraying it with compressed air, I'm at a loss here now.

Attempted fixes:
Multiple formats
Multiple driver options
Reseating everything
Cleaning everything with compressed air

Recent changes: I didn't install anything new or change anything the night before.

--

Operating system: Windows XP Pro

System specs: ABS computer
AMD 64 3500+ 939
2 gigs, (4x512mb) Corsair XL-3200 ram
Nvidia 6800 GT

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

sounds about right
i builded a rig last week and the video card was .almost dead
same problem when i installed windows..asked me where the hay is "nv4_mini.sys"..
changed the card and everything ran smooth