problem with GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R?

fankor

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Hello.
I am new to this whole pc building.
A few days ago, I purchased MSI mobo which was defective.
So I got gigabyte. When I was done with assembly, I put power on, and it worked for a few second.
Then......stopped.
When I tried on MSI one, at least, system fan unit was spinning.
With gigabyte, nothing was spinning.
So I went back to MSI board, which I didn't return yet, tried system fan...it was not spinning!!
Is this power problem or something else?
Before it stopped, I smelled something burning from computer...i am sure it was NOT definitely from mobo or cpu.
I suspected it was psu (I ordered new one).
Please give me some advice~~and tell what's wrong~~

fankor

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Well.localcpuguy..
I used cpu on the other mobo (my brother's:EVGA 680i), and it worked.
PSU did work but with new gigabyte mobo, i am suspecting that it is psu because psu must be really cheap one which was attached to the case and costed me only $99 with case.
Oh, my components.
CPU:Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86GHz
Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
PSU AND CASE: Ultra Aluminus Full Tower Case with 500W psu.
Memory:Corsair 1GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400
HDD:Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM
So guys help me out....totally dumbfounded...and my brother,who made his own a few months ago, has no clue, too...

On the PSU list at http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon, only one Ultra makes it as high as Tier-4.

Did you mount the mobo on standoffs screwed into the case? If you assemble the mobo, cpu and hsf, and one stick of RAM outside of the case, will it power on?

Slappy_Slime

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
"Before it stopped, I smelled something burning from computer...i am sure it was NOT definitely from mobo or cpu"

Take the Power supply, mobo, harddrives, etc...(one at a time) out of case, and use your nose to sniff the units closely, the burnt smell hangs around for awhile! but try the visual inspection first. But the sniffer works best to narrow/pin-point the burnt area. Just make make sure that the unit is unpluged! :)....good luck