How to disable this?

I posted the following on a HP hardware forum, but no one was able to
answer the question. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I looked in
device manager, and disabled the only thing I could find that looked
like it, but it did not work.

Thanks!

------------------------
On my HP Pavilion laptop, when I use my usb mouse, which is almost
always,is there any way to disable the computer touchpad? I could not
find anyway to do this, but may just be missing it. I tend to bump it
when typing and this causes all sorts of trouble. Since I don't use
the touch pad, I want to turn it off and only enable it if I need too.

Please post link to HP support for your model laptop, or at least give
us the model number. There is either a way to disable through the bios
or through the services that start in XP.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Hi,
There are probably differences even among Pavilion models, but on mine,
there's a button about an inch long, quarter inch wide above the touchpad.
It disabled the touchpad.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

<shepard97504[at]yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I posted the following on a HP hardware forum, but no one was able to
> answer the question. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I looked in
> device manager, and disabled the only thing I could find that looked
> like it, but it did not work.
>
> Thanks!
> ------------------------
> On my HP Pavilion laptop, when I use my usb mouse, which is almost
> always,is there any way to disable the computer touchpad? I could not
> find anyway to do this, but may just be missing it. I tend to bump it
> when typing and this causes all sorts of trouble. Since I don't use
> the touch pad, I want to turn it off and only enable it if I need too.

Yeah, I sort of knew this was not the best place for this question.
But as I said, I already tried the HP Hardware newsgroup and HP
Support, but got no responses there.

The model is the Pavilion dv4040us. There is no button above the
touchpad. although that suggestion made me search the entire keypad
area again. No luck. I'll keep looking.

Thanks

I also looked at the manual on cd again and it has exact directions on
how to disable the touchpad. Problem there is that my control panel
mouse settings do not have what the manual is referring to. I think
this is because I downloaded and installed the MS intellipoint software
to get some added functionality for my usb mouse. The mouse works
great, but the control panel has the setup for intellipoint, not the
original mouse setup that came with the computer.

Do you think if I uninstall the intellipoint software, the original
control panel configuration for the mouse / touchpad will become
available?

Thanks

shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:
> I posted the following on a HP hardware forum, but no one was able to
> answer the question. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I looked in
> device manager, and disabled the only thing I could find that looked
> like it, but it did not work.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ------------------------
> On my HP Pavilion laptop, when I use my usb mouse, which is almost
> always,is there any way to disable the computer touchpad? I could not
> find anyway to do this, but may just be missing it. I tend to bump it
> when typing and this causes all sorts of trouble. Since I don't use
> the touch pad, I want to turn it off and only enable it if I need too.

This would be something peculiar to your laptop and nothing whatsoever to do
with Windows. If you wish to know how to do something, then RTFM or call HP
support.

Hi,
It's certainly worth a try. It's easy enough to reinstall the Intellipoint
driver.

> Do you think if I uninstall the intellipoint software, the original
> control panel configuration for the mouse / touchpad will become
> available?
>
> Thanks

Have you tried looking in the BIOS for a setting to disable it?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

<shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1120287509.992992.192740@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

> Yeah, I sort of knew this was not the best place for this question.
> But as I said, I already tried the HP Hardware newsgroup and HP
> Support, but got no responses there.
>
> The model is the Pavilion dv4040us. There is no button above the
> touchpad. although that suggestion made me search the entire keypad
> area again. No luck. I'll keep looking.
>
> Thanks

I'll bet it explains it in your manual also! (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

> Hi,
> There are probably differences even among Pavilion models, but on mine,
> there's a button about an inch long, quarter inch wide above the touchpad.
> It disabled the touchpad.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>
> <shepard97504[at]yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I posted the following on a HP hardware forum, but no one was able to
>> answer the question. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I looked in
>> device manager, and disabled the only thing I could find that looked
>> like it, but it did not work.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> ------------------------
>> On my HP Pavilion laptop, when I use my usb mouse, which is almost
>> always,is there any way to disable the computer touchpad? I could not
>> find anyway to do this, but may just be missing it. I tend to bump it
>> when typing and this causes all sorts of trouble. Since I don't use
>> the touch pad, I want to turn it off and only enable it if I need too.

You mean HP that MAKE these laptops couldn't tell you how to disable the
touchpad?

<shepard97504@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, I sort of knew this was not the best place for this question.
> But as I said, I already tried the HP Hardware newsgroup and HP
> Support, but got no responses there.
>
> The model is the Pavilion dv4040us. There is no button above the
> touchpad. although that suggestion made me search the entire keypad
> area again. No luck. I'll keep looking.
>
> Thanks

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

cccccccc uuuuuuu nnnnnnnnn tttttttttttt

> shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I posted the following on a HP hardware forum, but no one was able to
>> answer the question. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I looked in
>> device manager, and disabled the only thing I could find that looked
>> like it, but it did not work.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> ------------------------
>> On my HP Pavilion laptop, when I use my usb mouse, which is almost
>> always,is there any way to disable the computer touchpad? I could not
>> find anyway to do this, but may just be missing it. I tend to bump it
>> when typing and this causes all sorts of trouble. Since I don't use
>> the touch pad, I want to turn it off and only enable it if I need too.
>
> This would be something peculiar to your laptop and nothing whatsoever to
> do with Windows. If you wish to know how to do something, then RTFM or
> call HP support.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does your manual explain why 99% of your posts have an ! at the end of every
sentence? Do you know what an ! is used for?

> I'll bet it explains it in your manual also! (-:
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,

>> Hi,
>> There are probably differences even among Pavilion models, but on mine,
>> there's a button about an inch long, quarter inch wide above the
>> touchpad.
>> It disabled the touchpad.
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>>
>> <shepard97504[at]yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I posted the following on a HP hardware forum, but no one was able to
>>> answer the question. Does anyone here have a suggestion? I looked in
>>> device manager, and disabled the only thing I could find that looked
>>> like it, but it did not work.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> ------------------------
>>> On my HP Pavilion laptop, when I use my usb mouse, which is almost
>>> always,is there any way to disable the computer touchpad? I could not
>>> find anyway to do this, but may just be missing it. I tend to bump it
>>> when typing and this causes all sorts of trouble. Since I don't use
>>> the touch pad, I want to turn it off and only enable it if I need too.

Do you talk in a monotone?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Bob" <Gmail@er.net> wrote in message
> Does your manual explain why 99% of your posts have an ! at the end of
> every sentence? Do you know what an ! is used for?

>> I'll bet it explains it in your manual also! (-:
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> There are probably differences even among Pavilion models, but on mine,
>>> there's a button about an inch long, quarter inch wide above the
>>> touchpad.
>>> It disabled the touchpad.
>>>
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>>>
>>> <shepard97504[at]yahoo.com> wrote in message

The Exclamation Point: !

The exclamation point is the punctuation zapper.

It is used as a kind of visual scream.

At the end of a sentence, the exclamation point shows you really, really
mean it:

Don't even think of going there!

At the end of a word, the exclamation point makes the word louder:

Help!

About ten or so years ago, there was a mild effort to create a new
punctuation mark that was a combination question mark and exclamation point.

This was intended to help writers make questions really loud and even scary:

Don't you realize the harm you've done ? !

(I have to write them separately, but you can get the idea by drawing a
question mark with a pen, and then drawing an exclamation point right on top
of the question mark.)

The idea never caught on, but it's probably just as well!

If you use the internet a lot, you probably already know this, but if not
I'd like to include some net manners here.

Do not write your words in ALL UPPERCASE to add emphasis.

It feels like you're shouting.

If you can't use an exclamation point, the accepted net-punctuation is to
enclose the words in stars: *Like this*

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Bob" <Gmail@er.net> wrote in message
> Does your manual explain why 99% of your posts have an ! at the end of
> every sentence? Do you know what an ! is used for?

>> I'll bet it explains it in your manual also! (-:
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> There are probably differences even among Pavilion models, but on mine,
>>> there's a button about an inch long, quarter inch wide above the
>>> touchpad.
>>> It disabled the touchpad.
>>>
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>>>
>>> <shepard97504[at]yahoo.com> wrote in message

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah it's like TYPING WITH ALL CAPS, it's annoying! (note the PROPER use of
an ! and CAPS.

Bye!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Bob" <Bytt@bgh.com> wrote in message
> Yeah it's like TYPING WITH ALL CAPS, it's annoying! (note the PROPER use
> of an ! and CAPS.
>> The Exclamation Point: !
>>
>> The exclamation point is the punctuation zapper.
>>
>> It is used as a kind of visual scream.
>>
>> At the end of a sentence, the exclamation point shows you really, really
>> mean it:
>>
>> Don't even think of going there!
>>
>> At the end of a word, the exclamation point makes the word louder:
>>
>> Help!

>> About ten or so years ago, there was a mild effort to create a new
>> punctuation mark that was a combination question mark and exclamation
>> point.
>>
>> This was intended to help writers make questions really loud and even
>> scary:
>>
>> Don't you realize the harm you've done ? !
>>
>> (I have to write them separately, but you can get the idea by drawing a
>> question mark with a pen, and then drawing an exclamation point right on
>> top of the question mark.)
>>
>> The idea never caught on, but it's probably just as well!

>> If you use the internet a lot, you probably already know this, but if not
>> I'd like to include some net manners here.
>>
>> Do not write your words in ALL UPPERCASE to add emphasis.
>>
>> It feels like you're shouting.
>>
>> If you can't use an exclamation point, the accepted net-punctuation is to
>> enclose the words in stars: *Like this*
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "Bob" <Gmail@er.net> wrote in message
>>> Does your manual explain why 99% of your posts have an ! at the end of
>>> every sentence? Do you know what an ! is used for?
>>>
>>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

lee

!

> Bye!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Bob" <Bytt@bgh.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah it's like TYPING WITH ALL CAPS, it's annoying! (note the PROPER use
>> of an ! and CAPS.
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The Exclamation Point: !
>>>
>>> The exclamation point is the punctuation zapper.
>>>
>>> It is used as a kind of visual scream.
>>>
>>> At the end of a sentence, the exclamation point shows you really, really
>>> mean it:
>>>
>>> Don't even think of going there!
>>>
>>> At the end of a word, the exclamation point makes the word louder:
>>>
>>> Help!

>>> About ten or so years ago, there was a mild effort to create a new
>>> punctuation mark that was a combination question mark and exclamation
>>> point.
>>>
>>> This was intended to help writers make questions really loud and even
>>> scary:
>>>
>>> Don't you realize the harm you've done ? !
>>>
>>> (I have to write them separately, but you can get the idea by drawing a
>>> question mark with a pen, and then drawing an exclamation point right on
>>> top of the question mark.)
>>>
>>> The idea never caught on, but it's probably just as well!

>>> If you use the internet a lot, you probably already know this, but if
>>> not I'd like to include some net manners here.
>>>
>>> Do not write your words in ALL UPPERCASE to add emphasis.
>>>
>>> It feels like you're shouting.
>>>
>>> If you can't use an exclamation point, the accepted net-punctuation is
>>> to enclose the words in stars: *Like this*
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Bob" <Gmail@er.net> wrote in message

shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:
> I also looked at the manual on cd again and it has exact directions on
> how to disable the touchpad. Problem there is that my control panel
> mouse settings do not have what the manual is referring to. I think
> this is because I downloaded and installed the MS intellipoint software
> to get some added functionality for my usb mouse. The mouse works
> great, but the control panel has the setup for intellipoint, not the
> original mouse setup that came with the computer.
>
> Do you think if I uninstall the intellipoint software, the original
> control panel configuration for the mouse / touchpad will become
> available?
>
> Thanks

It's interesting, but the review at
<http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/tools/amz/product_detail.php/mode/pc-hardware/ASIN/B0008DJN1Q>
says it has a "a touchpad with on/off button". See Keyboard and Mouse
under Basics.

Yes, the review does say that, but it is not on this model. At least
not mine. The manual does instruct how to turn off the touchpad using
control panel. Problem is that I have installed the MS Intellipoint
software for my usb mouse and that is all that shows up now in control
panel. The original HP mouse control panel items are gone. I am
hoping to be able to turn the touchpad off without having to first
uninstall the Intellipoint software. It's looking like that may be my
only option to try. A real pain even if it works to have to do it each
time. May just have to take the usb mouse on a daily basis and always
use that, permanently disabling the touchpad. An ON/OFF button would
be really nice and should be standard on a laptop.

> It's interesting, but the review at
> <http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/tools/amz/product_detail.php/mode/pc-hardware/ASIN/B0008DJN1Q>
> says it has a "a touchpad with on/off button". See Keyboard and Mouse
> under Basics.

Problem resolved.... I managed to connect with a very good technician
during an HP help chat session. She described a specific procedure
(specific order) of uninstalling and reinstalling software and drivers
for the MS mouse and HP touchpad. This left me with buttons and tabs
for both devices in control panel. Now I can disable or decrease the
sensitivity of the touchpad while using the mouse without first having
to uninstall the intellipoint software.