p5n32-e sli Updated bios, Now pc wont boot and hangs on spash screen

St0o

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Hi, today i updated my mobo (p5n32-e sli) from retail to the latest (1203), using asus update from windows, which I realise was a bad move.
It updated fine then after the 1st reboot the system hangs on the first spash screen 'AI life' if I hold down delete it says entering setup and hangs forever, if I hold down tab it gets to the boot screen as far as the amount of memory (no memory test, I think). The bios is shown as the latest version. I tried unpluging all my drives, took some ram out etc but no joy. I cleared the cmos by moving the jumper, but its the same.

My pc specs are
core2duo e6600
4gb corsair pc6400 c4d 4-4-4-12 (taken out 3 for now)
Geforce 8800GTX
Raptor 74gb
Windows XP 64bit.

Please help asap as I am without a PC (im on my dads)

Thanks in anticipation.

moose64

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I update my ASUS motherboards in windows all the time with no problems. 1203 is a beta bios I am running my on it right now with no problems but you may what to go back to a older one to see it will works. If you can't do that try to get different memory and see if it will boot with that in, this motherboard has had problems with corsair memory for some reason.

tweakau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
I have the same problem and a similar set up.
The only things different are I have a 500gb Seagate Barracuda hdd and 4 gigs of OCZ Ram. I've tried removing ram. nothing. I've replaced the bios chip with another one that was loaded with 1203 and nothing... now I'm waiting for a chip loaded with 1103...
this is not my first time updating my bios on this board, just the first time I've ever seen a non-beta bios kill peoples computers.

tweakau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007

... are you kidding me... that actually worked... Thanks a million, you saved my Sunday. Still toying with the settings, but hopefully I can use my razer again after playing with USB settings.

Thanks again. :bounce:

edit: still haven't gotten it to where I can turn the computer on with my mouse plugged in, but it will work if I plug it in when I get to windows... any ideas?

moose64

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Ok the only setting I see in BIOS is under ADVANCED-USB Configuration-USB Legacy support. I have my set to Enabled.I'am using a G5 Mouse with a G15 keyboard on P5N32-SLI board with BIOS 1203 beta.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I have the PLUS version and many many people are having issues with their Razor mice, and quite a few keyboards. Try unplugging everything you can and only leaving what you NEED to get things running.

tweakau

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007

I have a razer copperhead... I wonder if it would work if you plugged it in via a powered usb hub, but I'm not going to spend more money to fix something that shouldn't need to be fixed by me.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I dunno dude, check out the forum on the ASUS website for your specific board. I don't have a Razor mouse for me it's really just hearsay, but if the OP has a razor mouse it might be best to try and boot without anything extra plugged in.

bojangles34

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Did you remove the battery as well when you moved the jumper?

And are you positively sure that you updated with the right BIOS flash?

Carwash

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I have the same issue with this board. Was it ever resolved? Basically it won't get past post if any USB devices are plugged in. It'll load up window just fine with only a Ps/2 keyboard plugged in and you can plug in USB stuff after windoes has loaded but if you try to start the machine with any USB stuff plugged in it won't get past post.

Any ideas?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
What version of windows are you using? Which BIOS are you using? 1103 is the latest non-beta version of the Bios, 1203 was on their site but a lot of people were having problems with it so they took it off. There is a USB patch for XP on their site so if your using XP you might want to try that.

taydutton

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
so, i'm a little late to the party, it works with my g15 plugged in but not my razer plugged into any usb, not even my g15.

Just wondering if it's been solved. thanks.

St0o

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
You need to update your bios to the latest version and updating the mouse firmware/drivers wouldn't hurt.