valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
the YS version are "enterprise class" drives with higher MTBF numbers and features that are helpful when used in raid configurations. typically they also have 5 year warranty's versus the standard 3 years other drives have. they have excellent performance

they'll work fine in your desktop, but they are typically ~10-20% more expensive than a different comparable drive.

Valis

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The RAID edition HDDs from WD have a shorter retry period when there's a disk fault (Time Limited Error Recovery, or TLER for short). So with a normal disk, if it detects a problem while reading a file, it will retry for a while until it gets the data or determines that it cannot. With a RAID edition disk, if it detects a problem while reading a file, it will retry for a short interval (I think 5 secs or less), and then tell your computer it has a problem. In theory, if you have a good RAID controller with a RAID 1, 5 or 6 array, then the controller is supposed to tell the array to recover that data from the redundant disk(s), and re-write it to the erring disk. With Mobo RAID that won't happen and you'll probably find yourself rebuilding your array.

There is a utility available from WD by request to disable TLER. That would make this a very good disk for you due to longer warranty and high MTBF... but as always you need to have a backup strategy in place to ensure data integrity.

arisgr0

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Thanks for your answers.
I wont use RAID. I just thought that this model is better in performance than "normal" ones.
TLER makes drive slower,isnt tha correct?
Seagate has 5 years warrnaty for all its models.
So..whats the conclusion?
Should i use this HDD for WinXP and gaming?

joex444

Distinguished
I'd reccomend you just go by price.

If the 250GB Seagate (7200.10) costs less than the WD RAID Edition 250GB, then go for it instead. You'll get the same warranty.

On the other hand, the WD RAID Edition is rated for a higher MTBF, which should mean that it will last longer. That's on average, of course, in a random sample you may find the Seagate dies after the WD. It's all chance.

Only if there is a hard drive problem will TLER come into play. Hopefully this won't happen, certainly not often. Without RAID, you will want the drive to try very hard to fix the problem, even if it takes quite long. Because of this TLER should be turned off. During recovery, performance will suffer, but that is the price you pay. It is better to spend time trying to recover than recognizing quickly a failure that might have been recoverable. In all normal operations, the drive should perform the same. If the raid edition has a better warranty and MTBF, then it may be worth it to you. I see no reason not to get one.