C2D Temp Guide - NEW SECTION - Calibrations !!!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-temperature-guide#t1486866 has undergone a major update, which includes an entirely new section on Calibrations. By using a particular BIOS, hardware and software setup, CPU temperature (Tcase) and Core temperatures (Tjunction) can be accurately calibrated accross all C2D platforms and configurations. The Guide has also been rearranged and edited to improve flow and readability, and to provide more diverse content and greater detail for users to navigate with confidence through the digital thermal minefield.

Since Tom's upgraded the Forum, I still don't have access to recent posts on the Guide's thread, so please post all questions concerning the Guide on this thread, and I'll try to field all your questions.

Smooth Sailing And Chilly Chips To All !!!

Comp :sol:

omzhky75

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
hello comptronix,i red your preceeding thread.can you pls help me out how to comprehend the correct temp of my hardware http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abcd0002dl7.jpg
im puzzled as to the reading of 53C motherboard as shown by Everest wc jive with one of the temp by speedfan(wc i eventually rename to tcase,in doubt). if indeed that i struct the right string, does it mean core temp reading showed by everest,tat,speedfan,rmclock are -15C?.btw, core temp 94 has 85C tjunction, core temps therein are same with the apps i mentioned.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
omzhky75, nice rig. TAT, Everest and Core Temp 0.94 all reads your Tjunction Max as 85c, which is wrong. Your E6750 is Tjunction Max 100c. Use SpeedFan 4.32 and Core Temp 0.95. Keep in mind that both versions of Core Temp incorrectly use the term Tjunction, when it should actually be shown as Tjunction Max, which is an Intel specification, and not a scaling temperature measurement. This is explained with more detail in the Guide.

It appears that your CPU temp (Tcase) is too high by ~ 10c, and your Core temps (Tjunction) are too low by 15c, just as you suspect. Please read the Guide and use the Calibrations section to set up your temps, and SpeedFan 4.32 for Offset correction to properly display your temps. Links to Core Temp and SpeedFan are in the Guide. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-temperature-guide Let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps,

omzhky75

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
tnx, CompuTronix.m finally clarified,keep on updating your posts. it helps a lot especially for us newbies.

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
Comp, thought I would post results and a couple of notes on the calibration process.

System;
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320, 1.86 GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
Intel stock cpu hsf
Corsair xms2, 1 GB DDR2 Twin 2X, 6400 (800MHz)
Onboard video
Zalman Tech Co., Ltd ZM - 600HP Power Supplies ZMP600-HP
LIAN LI PC-A01B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

Part 1
Set bios according to instructions with the following exceptions;
■CPU Fan = did not know how to set to Max. the only options in the bios were for Auto, Legacy, or Disabled so I left this on auto (it gave a higher rpm vs. legacy at about 930rpm on an Intel stock cooler).
■PECI = no option available
■Software process = again, did not appear as a bios option but disabled those processes running in the background, through Vista (i.e. anti-virus software)
■Speedstep = did not see an option for this with this bios

Part 2
Ambient temp = 24.1c
Bios cpu temp = 29c
Bios system temp = 37c
Speedfan cpu temp = 25c
Offset made = +1c (Ambient +2c = 26c)
Note: upon intial start of Speedfan, cpu usage was running around 50%. Waited a minute or two until for this to settle back down to something less than 2% before taking any readings.

Part 3
cpu 1 = 38 hex, 56 decimal
cpu 2 = 38 hex, 56 decimal
(used CPUID to look at both cpu 1 and cpu 2 - drop-down box in upper right corner)

Stepping = B2 which is a Tjunction max of 85c
Tjunction max - CPUID decimal = 29c Tjunction

Part 4
Tcase (corrected offset) = 26c
Tcase + 12c = 38c
Speedfan core 0 = 30c
Speedfan core 1 = 29c

Offset made core 0 = 38c -30c = +8c
Offset made core 1 = 38c - 29c = +9c

Part 5
All bios settings restored to stock except left C1E disabled, and Vcore only increased to 1.285
TAT 100% load on both cores for 10 minutes
Speedfan results at 100% load
cpu = 48c
core 0 = 64c
core 1 = 63c
(for reference TAT was reading cores at 55c, and 52c)

Check: cpu of 48c + 15c = 63c which is +/-3c of core readings.

Results (final speedfan readings after closing case and settings back to stock levels)
Tcase = 33c idle, 48c Load
Tjunctions = 46c idle, 64c Load

The guide was very easy to follow with great explanations. The only two (minor) comments I have would be to note that Speedfan readings during the Tcase calibration should be made only when cpu usage is below 2% (assuming this is correct). The other would be to indicate in part 4 that the Tcase variable should be the value in which the offset was already applied (ambient +2c), again, assuming this is correct. These are really minor but thought it would be helpful for noobs like me.

I have two other systems I built this year and will now be going back to perform this calibration on each. I would appreciate if you could let me know if I did this correctly.

Thanks and Very Nicely Done!!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Cooperstown39, good job. Your observations are much appreciated. I have already updated the Guide to reflect your thoughts, as well as those of others, so you might want to re-read and re-cal. Let me know if your results differ.

Thanks,

Cooperstown39

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
Comp, I'll try again this weekend but it's going to be awhile before I am anywhere near 22c ambient. It was over 44c today and will probably be similar for the next couple of weeks. Just can't afford the a/c to hit 22c.