Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitor question...thoughts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2007 10:52:00 PM

Hey guys,

I'll be building a mid- to high-end gaming machine soon, and i'm curious about your opinions on something. Here's a quick overview of what i'm looking at:

GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200 Windsor

2GB RAM

8800 GTS 320MB

Thermaltake 500w PSU

etc, etc.

First, any general comments on the build itself? I'm only getting the SLI for upgradability later.

My main question is this though:
Would you guys get a mobo with onboard video to handle a second monitor? i'm running dual 19-inch lcds now with just a 7600gs, and games run alright, but i'm really not sure how much the second monitor affects games.

if you would go with onboard viideo, any recommendation on a mobo <$120? sli isn't a definite requirement...for that matter, anybody know how well the 8800gts performs in sli compared to a single 640 or the gtx?

thanks all!

More about : dual monitor question thoughts

August 8, 2007 11:09:30 PM

That is very similar to my question. I have an Intel DG965WH mb with GMA X3000 on board graphics and Windows XPsp2. Can I add a single video card and support 2 monitors?

TIA
August 8, 2007 11:43:58 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/message.php?ref=0&num... hardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=244145&page=1&p=1&subcat=208& sondage=0&owntopic=0&new=0

Link to VGA charts, will help determine which 8800 to get if you are going that route.

As far as SLI performance charts, I'm at a loss. In regards to dogbarx's question,

Yes you can buy a videocard and run dual monitors with your onboard video. Be sure

to see what bus types your motherboard has before you purchase one though.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 8, 2007 11:44:00 PM

dogbarx said:
That is very similar to my question. I have an Intel DG965WH mb with GMA X3000 on board graphics and Windows XPsp2. Can I add a single video card and support 2 monitors?

TIA

You could but most mid-range or better cards will have dual-outputs and perform better anyway.
!