Overclocking a 8800 gtx with ntune

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I couldn't find any answers for this in the nvidia sight. I have a baseline evga 8800 GTX. I've tried over clocking it in nTune which works but whenever I reboot my machine the settings go back to default.

I've also noticed it resets my flat panel scaling mode whenever it runs a 3d app. Anyone else have issues like this? I'm running xp sp2

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
i strongly suggest not to use ntune
i tuned several nvidia cards with rivatuner and works great
easy to use lots of features...
@nukemaster actually i never saw a nvidia card to survive after flashing the bios...*i lost 2 cards in this way*

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I also use Rivatuner, but the problem we are facing now (the ones that have Vista 64) is the fact that unsigned drivers are being blocked by Microsoft, so Rivatuner and Atitool will stop working eventually. Ntune could be a solution in the short term, if Nvidia tries hard and makes it better (it sux now).

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I didn't know Microsoft blocked unsigned drivers with Vista 64... I just started using it. I bet there's an administrative service that can be stopped to disable that though.. I wanna look when I get home from work now.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I was missing the part where you have to save your settings as a profile and create a custom rule to use these settings when windows starts. This seems needlessly complicated.

I installed the newest version of nTune. Before I did that it wouldn't let me save profiles for some reason, however now the flat panel scaling page is gone, which is okay because I wanted to turn it off on that machine and it was stuck on before, but now I couldn't turn it on if I wanted to. It seems like ntune is really really really really really badly maintained. Shouldn't nvidia have someone testing this?

BTW I am in advanced mode so if flat panel scaling could be there it should be there.

Note to self....no flashy.....

Flashed many an ati card with not probs.....but hmmmmm better play it safe for a bit.