XP Endless Installation Loop!!!

slycer2002

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I'm having a problem with a friend's computer. It is an old eMachines T1220 w/ a 1.2Ghz Celeron. I have just installed a new 80GB Maxtor HDD, and am attempting to install Windows XP Home Edition. I changed to boot sequence to read off the CD-ROM first, and the preinstallation files have loaded fine from the disc. My problem is that when the computer reboots, it goes right back into loading the preinstallation files. I have never seen it say "Press any key to boot from the CD." It goes right to "Windows is checking your system's configuration..." or something to that effect. Anyway, when the computer reboots, if I take the CD out of the drive, and let it go straight to the HDD, it says "Operating System not found." If anyone out there can offer some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

slycer2002

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I am actually beginning to think I may have a bad motherboard. Now, the BIOS is not even showing that I have a hard drive installed!!! I am about ready to throw this damn thing across the room!!! Does that officially make me a tech, now?

tommyriggs

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I have the same problem with a compaq presario sr1303 wm , trying to install windows xp home on a new 250 gb hd, and the setup loops back to the begging after teh first rebot instead of loading the GUI portion. I have replaced the mother board and that was not the probelm , Sometimes xp has problems detecting larger drives, make sure you have large disk enabled in the bios settings , ide access tab. And make sure the drive is jumpered as single if there is no other drive present. let me know if you here anything else on this subject and Iwil do the same ,