Power supply upgrade gone bad

elchico08

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
So i decided to upgrade my power supply after I learned that I had been starving my computer. My problem is that when I turn it on I can't see anything. All the fans are spinning and it sounds like my hard drives are spinning up too. I have that "Extra" power cable plugged into my graphics card too. The POST code my mobo gives me is 25 which means...

Early PCI Initialization:
-Enumerate PCI bus number
-Assign memory & I/O resource
-Search for a valid VGA device & VGA BIOS, and put it into C000:0

My system has 2 graphics cards. An AGP Radeon 9800 Pro and a PCI nVidia GeForce FX5200. The BIOS is currently set to boot using the PCI graphics card.

If anyone knows how I can solve this it would be greatly appreciated.

edit: one other thing. The power supply is an Antec Neo HE 550 watt
The mobo connector was a 24 pin when my board (Abit AV8) takes a 20 pin so you snap off the last 4 pins and there is a sticker that says "only use this connector for 24 pin mobos". So for the 4 pin 12V connection I used the separate 4 pin connector did I do this right?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What happens if you reconnect the old PSU? If it works, RMA the new one. What is old PSU, who told you it was too low in output? What is system Spec?

elchico08

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I just reconnected the old one. And i still get the same POST code message. I did one of those power supply calculators and it came out to 406 watts and I had 400 watt cheap rosewill PSU.

my system specs are:
- AMD athlon 3500+
- 1 IDE 7,400 RPM HDD
- 1 SATA 7,400 RPM HDD
- AGP Radeon 9800 Pro
- PCI nVidia GeForce FX5200
outputting to three monitors

- PCI HDA Mystique 7.1 Sound Card
- PCI Wireless Network Adaptor
- Floppy drive
- DVD-RW drive
- DVD-ROM drive

I decided to swap out the old PSU because I have been getting random lock ups and sometimes MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSoDs. Sometimes randomly, but they almost always happen when I do anything really CPU intensive like playing a 3D game.

That sounds like a graphics card/power issue to me. You may want to set default vid card to your Radeon, as something to try....

As far as the connections, yes, you connected them correctly. The 4-pin that snaps off the 24-pin connector should not be used for the motherboard 4-pin.

elchico08

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
how can I set it to defaults if i can't see anything? I already tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper on the mobo.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Remove EVERYTHING except CPU and heatsink. Should give memory error, if not, suspect motherboard most likely. If gives memory error, install one DIMM and see if get video adapter error.

Mike.

elchico08

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
yeah...uhhh...im kinda embarrassed as to why it wasnt working. The mouse and keyboard plugs were in the opposite sockets.....