1. Insert the installation CD into the CD/DVD-ROM drive and run the setup to install the driver and software. Connect your webcam to the Vista computer using the USB cable that comes with it.
2. Go to your webcam manufacturer's website if you do not have an installation CD. Locate the "Drivers and Downloads" section and download the drivers for your device. It is normally best to install the software and drivers before connecting the camera.
3. Place the webcam on a location that enables you to maintain a three-feet range from the device. You can place most webcams on top of your monitor if you have a monitor support. Place the device on a flat surface such as bookshelf if you do not have a monitor support.
4. Adjust the webcam and make sure that it is eye level. Most webcams have swivel capabilities, which enable you to change the angle to face the direction you want.
5. Launch your video, photo or messenger software and begin using your webcam.