Sign in with
Your question

Continuous beep on startup?

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2007 3:13:11 PM

Let me start off by saying that I'm a first-time system builder. I was putting my rig together last night, and when I thought I had everything together, I turned it on, only to hear a continuous, loud beep (kind of like a smoke detector going off). Assuming this was a bad thing, I immediately turned off my computer. I looked in my GA P35 DS3P mobo's manual and it said that that indicates a problem with the graphics card (EVGA 8800GTS 320mb superclocked), so I reseated it and tried again. Still the same beeping. Nothing is showing up on the monitor, either (yes, it's on). Another point of concern is that the heatsink fan that came with my q6600 isn't spinning. I've heard it can take up to 10-15 seconds for it start after power is applied (is this true?), but I haven't wanted to wait that long with the beeping noise.

Summery:
- Loud, continuous beep
- Nothing displayed on monitor
- CPU fan not turning
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
- CPU: Intel Q6600
- GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 320mb superclocked
- PSU: Earthwatts 500W

Any ideas on what's wrong? Thanks.
August 2, 2007 3:26:44 PM

whats you psu?
August 2, 2007 3:28:41 PM

Sorry, my PSU is an Earthwatts 500W
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2007 3:33:19 PM

Reset the BIOS to default. On my GA-G33M-DS2R, there is about a 3 second delay before the CPU fan turns on. During this time, the fan fail alarm sounds. That may be what you're getting.
Do you have the auxilliary power cable (6-pin PCIE) plugged into your graphics card?
August 2, 2007 3:45:01 PM

Holy crap, am I stupid. Thanks, jtt - I didn't have the 6-pin plugged in. dur! But still nothing is displaying on the monitor. (My monitor is VGA-only, so I'm using the DVI-VGA converter that came with the card).
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2007 3:50:33 PM

Which DVI connector did you use? Make sure it is #1; it is engraved on the slot cover. If you played with the monitor controls earlier, make sure you didn't turn the brightness all the way down.
August 2, 2007 4:04:18 PM

Yeah, it's on the #1 slot (I also tried the other slot and the other DVI-VGA connector). And my monitor still works with my other computer. Any ideas?
August 2, 2007 4:20:03 PM

Got it working... well, at least to the windows install screen. Thanks all!
August 2, 2007 4:21:03 PM

Be sure you connected the 4/8 pin auxillary 12v power lead from the power supply to the MB. This supplies power to your CPU. The system will not run without this lead plugged in. The MB connector should be located near the CPU socket on the MB.
August 2, 2007 5:19:38 PM

correction I'm an idiot
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2007 5:30:32 PM

I only got 437W on the PSU calculator. I'd prefer a bigger cushion myself, but it ought to work.

What was the fix?
August 2, 2007 7:24:32 PM

correction I'm an idiot
!