Should I add one more 1 GB stick to my 2 GB config?

I have the following:

*Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
*ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro (cpu fan)/Artic Silver Themal Paste
*ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express
*Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) -timing: 4-4-4-12 -voltage: 2.0v -cas latency: 4
*COOLMAX CW-650T EPS12V 650W Aluminum ATX v2.01
*BFG 8800GFX 756 MB OC video card
*Cooler Master Centurion 5

I'm thinking about adding an extra 1gb stick (of the same exact ram I currently have installed) to make my system have up to 3gb total memory. I've heard that running your ram in a ddr config only gives you a slight boost in performance and figure I'd give myself a bit more ram to help run my games. Anyone have any trouble running this mobo with more that 2 sticks of ram? I'm running windows xp, xp can recognize up to 3gb of memory correct?
7 answers Last reply
More about should stick config
  1. I would add 2 more sticks. You will only see 3.2 GB but the rest will still be used by the O/S, it's not wasted. It would also allow dual channel to keep working.
  2. You may not have the option to fit only one additional module. The 975X is one of the few chipsets that allows 3 modules and runs in pseudo dual channel mode. I don't have a P965 to test and the Asus manual doesn't say you can, but it also doesn't say you can't.
  3. I just added two I gig sticks to my c2d 6600 and asus p5b-deluxe (no wi-fi) with an 8800 gts (640 ver) taking it to 4 gig total. I netted 2.93 gig. All that video RAM on our cards seems to use up quite a bit of the 4 gig of addressing you have on a 32 bit os. You could also add two 512 sticks to get to 3 gig+/- but if you go with the 1 gig sticks you'll be set to get your full 4 gig should you upgrade to a 64 bit os.

I had some odd problems at first with blue screens on my Vista install but it either sorted itself out or else I fixed it with minor adjustments in BIOS, not sure which.

To get your BIOS to recognize 4 gig you must enable "memory remapping'' in BIOS setup ("under chipset'') however, if you do this you will likely only see 2 gig in windows - don't ask me why but thats's what I get in VIsta and XP. So I leave remapping disabled, which is the default anyway, and BIOS sees 3 gig's of your 4.

In Vista 64 bit, which I am now trying, you enable remapping and you end up with a full 4 gig of useable RAM in windows.
  4. if your gonna run DDR2 PC6400 3Gb, ur better off going with 4GB Dual Channel for the simple reason that not only will it give you a performance advantage, but, come 2 months from now, u'll likely want to go with 4GB anyways after buyers remorse sets in for only getting the extra stick. Plus, in the event u decide to go with a 64-bit OS, u will already be ahead of the game. I currently run 4GB of OCZ Platinum PC5400 DRR2 in my system, but im only using XP Pro SP2, and i rarely game....im an audio and dvd freak...
  5. Great! Thanks for the info guys.
  6. notherdude said:
    To get your BIOS to recognize 4 gig you must enable "memory remapping'' in BIOS setup ("under chipset'') however, if you do this you will likely only see 2 gig in windows - don't ask me why

When you remap the memory, you lift some of it (in thise case 2 GB) up and above the 4 GB address boundary. 32-bit XP and Vista cannot go that high. BIOS will see it, but not Windows
  7. dengamle said:
    When you remap the memory, you lift some of it (in thise case 2 GB) up and above the 4 GB address boundary. 32-bit XP and Vista cannot go that high. BIOS will see it, but not Windows

That makes perfect sense. I should have thought of it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory