System Restore

I went to System Restore yesterday and all of June's restore points had
disappeared. The only restore points available were two July 1 points - One
created by the installation of an updated video driver and one I created
manually as a test. Does anyone know what may cause this? Is there a fix
for System Restore gone awry? Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    Warren wrote:
    > I went to System Restore yesterday and all of June's restore points
    > had disappeared. The only restore points available were two July 1
    > points - One created by the installation of an updated video driver
    > and one I created manually as a test. Does anyone know what may
    > cause this? Is there a fix for System Restore gone awry? Thanks in
    > advance.

    Warren

    It's difficult to diagnose the behavior of SR because there are so many
    variables involved. If the SR restore files do become corrupted, the only
    way to properly fix the problem is to turn SR off and then back on. This
    results in all restore points being deleted. Here are some links that will
    help you to better understand SR.

    System Restore overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_overview.mspx

    Understanding System Restore
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_understand.mspx

    System Restore restore points are missing or deleted
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224

    How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

    How the System Restore Tool Handles Hard-Disk Space Usage
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300044

    How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796

    Improper Shutdown May Affect System Restore
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283096

    The System Restore Utility May Be Suspended on a System Drive Even Though
    There Is Enough Disk Space
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299904

    Windows System Restore Utility Quits and All Restore Points Are Deleted
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812119

    Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://www.dts-l.org/

    Hi,

    Did you run disk cleanup? There is an option in its settings that will
    remove all but the most recent restore point.

    Did you install a Service Pack? Doing so will also remove the old restore
    points.

    Did you temporarily disable the System Restore service? This too will remove
    the old points.

    Basically though, once they're gone, they're gone. There is no retrieving
    them.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Warren" <unknown@cox.net> wrote in message
    >I went to System Restore yesterday and all of June's restore points had
    >disappeared. The only restore points available were two July 1 points -
    >One created by the installation of an updated video driver and one I
    >created manually as a test. Does anyone know what may cause this? Is
    >there a fix for System Restore gone awry? Thanks in advance.

System Restore Video Driver Microsoft Windows XP